Hypertech's 75

OK, so the tank is here! All that is standing between me a fish tank is figuring out how to build the stand and canopy. I bought a biscuit joiner, and this weekend, I think I will make the 2x4 portion of the stand.

Here's the specs:

Aqueon 75g RR

Herbie plumbing

Custom Stand/Canopy

2x150W HQI Halides + 2x54W T5s.

Eheim 1262 return

Vertex Alpha Cone 170 Skimmer

Aquatic Systems Design Nano Calcium Reactor

Neptune Apex Controller

2xTunze 6055

25 pounds softball size Fiji rock from BRS

40 pounds Key Largo rock from Marco Rocks

80 pounds bahama sand from Marco Rocks

What do you guys think of getting one of these backgrounds:

st-71303-51107-seascape.jpg

The brs rocks came today. They were on sale because they were out of "big" pieces. This size is still great and for less than $40 to my door, a great deal.

I got my rock from there too. I recommend getting a few pieces of live rock from a LFS to seed your dry rock. Looking forward to progress pics.

Ron

I've done 2 tanks with nothing but dry rock and it works great. A friend of mine is holding my corals and will ship them to me when my tank is ready. I figure all the microfauna should ride in on the plugs and rocks the corals are in.

The Marco Rocks came today. They were packed well in that each piece was bubble wrapped, but the 40 pounds of rock was just put in a regular cardboard box. The bottom was about to fall out as I came in the house. The stuff has a real nice shape and he sent me one really nice bigger base rock piece.

But, I don't think I have quite enough rock, so I put in an order for 25 pounds of Reef Saver rock from BRS. On the group buy with free shipping its good deal. Plus they are running a bonus point special so I'll have about $8 of credit back for my next order.

Nice specs and parts list. I like how Marcos Rock is using bubble wrap to help minimize fragmentation during shipping. Great looking background. Should enhance the sense of depth in your set up.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do on the aquascaping. I like arches and caves but I also want it easy to clean. In the past I've made the mistake of having a nice rock structure but no where for the corals to grow out. I'm going to focus on a few nice big pieces this time so I'm going to do the rock planning ahead. It may look strange till the corals grow out. Some acrylic rods and epoxy may be involved.

I got my rodi hooked up complete with tds meter pressure gauge drinking water flush valve and output dump.

But, I'm only seeing 40 psi. Will it just take longer to make water or do I need a booster pump?

post-2632265-128002382634_thumb.jpg

(edited)

Grrrrr. I didn't really budget for a booster pump. I'm on city water. I wonder if I need to find the pressure regulator - maybe it just needs an adjustment.

BTW, is an incoming TDS of about 400-420 normal around here? Right now my output is around 40 and I'm wondering if its the pressure or if something else is wrong.

Edited by hypertech

I did the rough 2x4 frame. I glued and screwed the whole thing using stainless steel screws. I skipped the screw boards on the plan and used pocket holes.

Only problem - I brought it inside and it doesn't sit flat on the floor. So, I may need to put some corner braces on it or something to pull it into square.

I would have gotten further on it if the water heater hadn't failed. I spent the afternoon replacing it instead of finishing my project. Oh well, good thing I'm a renter and the landlord gets to pay for it!

(edited)

is you stand on any sort of pad(s) if not you can shim stands carefully often

Edited by jason the filter freak

My water pressure is only at 40 psi and I can make r/o water just like anyone else. Of course I'm only using a 25gpd membrane. If you're running a larger membrane than 75gpd, you'll need higher psi.

It's a standard 75gpd. BRS got back to me and said I need at least 50 psi for it to work properly. So, I guess I will be finding the pressure regulator for the house or looking into a booster pump.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

OK, so I finished my DIY 2x4 and plywood stand. After the water test to make sure it holds the weight well, I discovered the 2x4's are bowed ever so slightly and the center of the tank is off the plywood top by like 1/32". So, the plastic rim is not being evenly supported. I think I should put thin foam underneath it. Hopefully I can find something thin enough even if it compresses completely, it won't hit the glass.

So, does anyone know where I can get such a foam? Pink? White? Blue? What's the right stuff?

Oh, and the floor is not level by about 1/4" to 3/8". I was just going to let that go because the trim should cover it. I don't think it should affect the foam much.

Edited by hypertech

1x8's around the top and for the uprights and center with 1x4's for the sides. I'm going to put a strip (maybe a 1x2) using pocket screws sticking in towards the stand on the front and the back of the sides. Then I'm going to screw through those to secure it to the stand. That way it is a super clean look with no fasteners going through the front.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...