AC is broken. Air temp is 79 degrees

zygote2k

With the lights and the 3 pumps, the temp is only 82.6 degrees. It seems like the SPS are loving the low 80's with the exception of the Tyree toadstool- it must come from deeper water.

If I still had mh, I would've been killing corals or had a greatly reduced light cycle.

Willing to live without AC for a week in 100+ degree heat wave just to make about point about LEDs. Ok you win... :wacko:

I'm not willing to live without A/C. We use the RELAC system in Reston.

Seriously though, what would you do without a chiller if the air temp was 79-80 in the house? I guess I would've ran a short light cycle and I already use a fan to circulate air above the tank. Would 84+ harm corals for an extended period?

Four days would not have been that big of a deal, I've left my tank dark for twice that long with no ill effects. Depending on where the corals came from the 83-84F is probably a more natural range for the corals.

Yes we agree LEDs are cooler, but I'm still keeping my MHs for now.

(edited)

Would 84+ harm corals for an extended period?

I have kept a tank at 85-86F for an extended time and I did not have any issues with the corals but the astreas didn't seem to make it. They must have come from a cooler area. I know when I went snorkling in the Persian Gulf the water was 90F and the guide said it gets to 95F at times! When temps are high, keeping the water high in O2 is key.

Edited by Coral Hind

I took the day off work Tuesday, drove up to TFP and bought a chiller. At 106F my home AC was only able to maintain about a 20F offset. Problem solved.

I called the HVAC guy thinking my AC was broken and was told:

1. That when AC units are sized for a home, that they are only sized to be able to control the temp to within about 20F.

2. That the little box that BGE recently attached to my compressor was adding to the problem because during times of higher electrical usage (100+ degree weather) that my compressor would be cycled off for longer durations than if there were less overall power consumption in my region.

It did it's job though. My utility bills usually range $400-$500 per month. Last month's bill was $250. It's been pretty comfortable in the house on days when it's been below 95F.

I have long resisted buying a chiller. This was just time for me to take that plunge.

Four days would not have been that big of a deal, I've left my tank dark for twice that long with no ill effects. Depending on where the corals came from the 83-84F is probably a more natural range for the corals.

Yes we agree LEDs are cooler, but I'm still keeping my MHs for now.

+1, I am interested in LEDs and have been following them fairly closely, but I am not convinced yet. Besides, with both of my 250w MHs and my 150w MH running my tank only rises to ~ room temperature or so because of pendants and fans.

Guest thefishman65

As I understand it LEDs don't put out much IR so there is not heat directed at the tank. However, they put out more heat as power loss. Abouat15-25% of the energy is seen a visible light (depending on efficiency) and the rest as heat. MH about 27% visible, 17% IR, 19% UV, and 37% heat. Fluorescent 21% VL, 37% IR, 42% for heat.

Also as I am learning fast Geothermal is the way to go. I kept the house at 76 no problems. The bills rung $100-$150. :) If only it was cheaper.

The RELAC system is a closed loop pressurized water cooler that passes thru a cooling tower at the lake. It is supposed to provide 45 degree water to our loop, but Lake Anne is down 2' and the chiller pump had been sucking mud, so for the last 5 days we have been getting 60 degree water instead. When RELAC is operating at peak efficiency, we can get a 25 degree pull down from outside air temp.