Maxima clam with very tiny tubes poking from shell...

(edited)

I have a blue maxima clam about 2.3/4" It opens up very well and reacts great to light and has really good color. Seems very healthy. The shell however has very tiny tubes that sometimes appear (I break them off when I see them forming). I have done a search and think they are vermetid snails. They are only on the clam shell (maybe about 5 in total), and nowhere else in my tank. Will they kill the clam? Will they ruin my tank? What should I do? I do not want to lose the clam, but would rather do so than lose my entire tank. Or am I worrying too much? HELP ME!

I hear a dab of superglue over the opening may work . . . .

Thanks.

Edited by BowieReefer84

That will work. Scraping them off will work too.

How long can a clam be out of the water? I normally scrape "in the water" but would prefer to take it out and really do the job right. Would like 3 minutes be ok?

They can stay out of the water for several hours but trockafella has a good idea.

If you break the tubes off the worm will just grow them again. I use super glue and seal them up inside the tube.

if you keep your clam out of the water for an extended period of time, make sure to rotate it a few times when back in the water. This will help release any air bubbles that may be inside.