HOB Refug

truestelf

I set up a HOB refugium on my 20 gallon today, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what i may want to put in it? ( been a few years sense i used a refugium, it has been in storage till earlier this week ) I put a layer of sand, some algaes i had and a little wall of live rock. Anything else? I put a little light which i am planning on upgrading next time i go to my storage unit.

All mine has in it is a large clump of cheato a light and a piece of live rock... oh and a single snail his name is bob!

(edited)

Not trying to change the topic on you guys . . . but, can I put Cheato in my display tank if I don't have a sump or hob refugium? Will it be good / bad / indifferent? I could do a hang inside or something with eggcrate in a corner....

Edited by BowieReefer84

(edited)

Not trying to change the topic on you guys . . . but, can I put Cheato in my display tank if I don't have a sump or hob refugium? Will it be good / bad / indifferent? I could do a hang inside or something with eggcrate in a corner....

If you have an Aqua Clear HOT filter or similar, you can convert it to a refugium (for a small tank) very easily. Some people have also turned canister filters into refugiums.

Edited by treesprite

If you have an Aqua Clear HOT filter or similar, you can convert it to a refugium (for a small tank) very easily. Some people have also turned canister filters into refugiums.

How would I do this? I have a HOT filter on a 29gal tank. Right now I have carbon and phosphate removing pads with some simple filter floss. Would it be better to have it as a refugium or to leave what I have in there? Does it need a light or can it get light from the display? I never thought of this, but def interested.

THANK YOU!!!!

How would I do this? I have a HOT filter on a 29gal tank. Right now I have carbon and phosphate removing pads with some simple filter floss. Would it be better to have it as a refugium or to leave what I have in there? Does it need a light or can it get light from the display? I never thought of this, but def interested.

THANK YOU!!!!

Here's a great write up you can use.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192628

I was going to do this but my skimmer died so I just saved up and bought the large CPR HOB fuge/skimmer combo w/ light.

(edited)

I am not a DIY and would rather pay for things than take a few hours, and create more problems than I started with. Having said this does anyone think this product would be a good place for some macro algaes?

http://www.marinedep...-CR1713-vi.html I am looking at the small version (my tank is 29gal)

Also, what type of algaes are you guys using with the most benefits?

Thank you!!!

Edited by BowieReefer84