mixing tangs

zygote2k

i would say your asking for a fight in a 90g

mixing unlike genus' the best route. YT and PT biggest issue mostly. OST probably too big a fish for a 90 eventually

HT - Hepatus? Not sure which one, but will echo the sentiments. Same genus will result in fighting probably, but you never know. I have a Pacific Blue and a Powder Blue that often spar even though the Pacific Blue is 2x the size of the Powder Blue.

My general rule is 4 feet or less I feel 1 tang is best. When you get to 6 foot tank I believe the fish will do a bit better. I think tangs get stressed in smaller tanks. More chances of having stress related ick and other issues. I wouldn't go beyond 2 in a 90. Just my opinion though.

I had a yellow, a hippo and a powder brown in a 4' 90g with no issues. They just need plenty of caves and plenty of swimming room.......have to be very creative with the rockwork.

I have a Hippo, Tomini and Sailfin Tang all in a 4' 75 gallon. They've all been in there for over a year and I haven't had even a small problem, no fights, no sparing and no disease. I've always been told that as long as the body styles are different you should be ok. But, I'm sure that's not always 100% perfect thinking. Lots of hiding spots helps, I also bought mine at approx. the same time and they were all fairly small at that point.

Rob, you saw how big my tangs have gotten and they spar more as they grow older, but the aggression is divided amongst many. I think that you've gotten a ton of good advice here on what to do, but it's always going to be hit or miss with each fish as you never know which ones will get along with others and which ones won't. Granted, I've got a 300 that is 7' long with tons of rock, but my combination, despite the aggression between them at times, is actually pretty limited. There are really no nipped fins, just periodic tears as they assert themselves, something that happens naturally, anyway, albeit not with this mix in nature.

By the way, I think the orange shoulder needs more room to grow, too, they get rather large. I did have a mix of an orange shoulder and a Pacific Blue together before and they had no issues.