Clibinarius diguetti

Happyfeet

(edited)

Talking with a friend in Iowa I mentioned I get a little bit of cyano every so often, he mentioned his Red Legged Hermit Crabs (Clibinarius diguetti) will actually eat cyano and red slime algaes.

I was under the impression cyano is a bacteria and nothing in our tanks would eat it we had to eliminate the cyanos food source in order to remove it.

Has anyone had any experiene with Red Legged Hermit Crabs eating cyano?

Hermitcrab.jpg

Edited by Happyfeet

I haven't noticed them eating it, but Queen conchs (Strombus gigas) if you can find one is a good cyano eater. So are cerith snails, the kind you can buy from the Keys collectors.

that Xenia and algae rock alive or did it not make it?

For some reason that bag got reaaaally hot. I don't think anything made it from that bag. Kind of a bummer, The algae may be springing back, and I left the xenia in there to see if it does anything.

I'll let you know!

Thanks for the feedback on the hermits. I found a couple places citing that the hermits will "attempt" to eat cyano, not sure what that means!

ok well ill bring some more xenia to the next meeting for you, maybe a frag of a leather too if i get around to it.

I say queen conch I have one its a great cyno eat as I don't have any! I love them too they are cool guys!

Not to highjack the thread and all but has anyone ever notice a correlation between cyno and the sand that you use. When I first stood up my 12g Aquapod I used the off the shelf sand that had the added bacteria for "instant cycling" and had a huge outbreak of cyno. I setup my 20g and 75g with "The Package" from TBS and didn't get an outbreak, but the sump for the 75g I used the off the shelf sand again and also had a bad outbreak in the sump only. When I reset up my 12g Aquapod using Marco Rocks sand I didn't have an outbreak. Just seems weird that the two times I use the off the shelf sand I get it but when I use some that isn't "instant cycle" I don't.

I know it's a small sample size just struck me as weird.

Tony

Not to highjack the thread and all but has anyone ever notice a correlation between cyno and the sand that you use. When I first stood up my 12g Aquapod I used the off the shelf sand that had the added bacteria for "instant cycling" and had a huge outbreak of cyno. I setup my 20g and 75g with "The Package" from TBS and didn't get an outbreak, but the sump for the 75g I used the off the shelf sand again and also had a bad outbreak in the sump only. When I reset up my 12g Aquapod using Marco Rocks sand I didn't have an outbreak. Just seems weird that the two times I use the off the shelf sand I get it but when I use some that isn't "instant cycle" I don't.

I know it's a small sample size just struck me as weird.

Tony

I got my sand from someone elses breakdown. Had Cyano almost instantly :dry:

Is it cyno or dynoflagalettes? Or something else maybe?

This stuff was stringy nasty looking red goop. All the pictures I've seen of it looked just like cyno.