DI chamber isn;t filling all the way

steveoutlaw

My typhoon III has been working like a champ. However, I started noticing some nusance algea in the tank so I checked the filters. It turns out that the DI chamber isn't filling all the way up with water. It ranges from a little in the bottom of the chamber to about 1/2 full......but I can't tell why.

Any ideas?

make sure the flow restrictor is working and it's the correct size for the membrane. I had the same problem and when I put the correct restrictor in, it worked fine. FWIW, even though it works, I haven't used DI for almost a year now.

I'm not too hopeful that it will work itself out......it had been working fine. Maybe it's just time to put in a new membrane and flow restrictor. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

thanks.

(edited)

Mine has been doing the same thing for years. I asked an industrial RO/DI maker about the issue when I first noticed it and their engineer said it was caused by the water being under pressure until it leaves the RO chamber and reaches the DI chamber where the loss of pressure allows some of the gases to come out of solution. The higher the input pressure the more off gasing that can occur.

From AWI's website: Vertical DI chamber not filling? Is this bad?

No, it's nothing to worry about. As long as there's water flowing through the DI, it doesn't really matter. It's air trapped inside of the housing. If you don't like how it looks, you can unscrew the housing a little to release the air. When the water fills the housing/chamber tighten it down quickly to avoid a small blast of water everywhere.

What happens if it fills back up with air after I do this?

Just repeat the process. It will eventually stop filling with air and leave the chamber full of water most of the time. If not, then it's still okay.

Edited by Coral Hind

Hello,

The DI housing will not fill all the way up like the other filters do. It will only (at most) fill half way up.

You may need to change your DI if you're developing algae growth.

If you need anything else, let me know! ;)

-Marissa

www.airwaterice.com