store closing

squintin

the petco near my area (herndon, at the clocktower off centreville road) is closing. they still have a pretty good amount of stuff so if you're looking to stock up on food, test kits, or whatever, they're advertising 30-50% off. just an fyi.

well it sucks they are closing, but it sure is a good thing for there salt-water fish, they don't ever take care of them and they always look sick and the tanks look bad all the time.

Went by tonight - still some food left, salt (smaller containers/bags - bought the last IO bucket myself), additives, and a few test kits. Ten gallon tanks are $9, there was a 20 and a few 29 gallons left too..

They had a lot of dog/cat stuff - I believe 30% off dog treats, 10% off dog food, 30% or 40% off toys, 40% off grooming products. Ive got a destructive puppy, so I picked up training treats and some new toys for him...

I'm wondering if they are going to give the enclosures to another store or what... It's so tempting to call them and ask about the reptile one, as I would love this for my collection. Anyone know how it works with a chain like this going out of business?

Thanks for the heads up!

If you talk to tne manager, anything could happen. Most of them sell everything between the outside walls :-) I have picked up a few cases and fixtures after the store closed the doors.

Ive got a destructive puppy

He's so cuuuuuuuuuute! Pure lab?

Did you notice if they had any small glass tanks like 5g?

Think I will take a ride out there tomorrow.

I worked there for about a week 15 years ago. There were thousands of roaches permanently living on the individual fish tank filters behind the rack. So much extra food and fish waste had accumulated that all of the roaches left the nearby restaurant.

He's so cuuuuuuuuuute! Pure lab?

Did you notice if they had any small glass tanks like 5g?

Think I will take a ride out there tomorrow.

For the standard aquariums, only saw 10g/20g/29g/one unidentified size, but I could have missed something. They had several smaller kits left too. I picked up the salt, some fish food, and then went over and got dog stuff (new collar, treats, food, shampoo, toys). It was pretty vacant in there was I was in around 7:45ish.

He's a mutt (from Fairfax Humane Society) - dna test said sheltie, chow and weimaraner, but I still think he has lab in him. He's got that weimaraner energy though... ate my gas bill, car tax bill, a few checks from my checkbook (stolen from my purse) and just now, a valentines day card. You can't leave anything out in the house now.. Had to put a baby gate up to keep him out of the basement so he doesn't get into the fish stuff.

Edited by darkcirca

Wow, they do DNA testing for dog ID? Thats kind of crazy cool! Looks like you have a very smart dog, think about it. He chews up the bills so there is money freed up. Now he has some extra money available but needs some checks. He didnt get to spend the money in time, so, knowing you would find out, guess he decided to hide the evidence, lol.

Thanks for the update. Well, if I get up early enough, might be a nice morning for a cool drive to the store, being it is only 2 miles away.

for tanks themselves, they had a marineland oceanic 12 gallon cube for $95.99. said it was originally $160 which is around the cheapest i can find it online. wanted to get one but figured that it's smaller than my current 14 gallon biocube and if i'm going to spend any money on more equipment, it best be for something bigger and better. good for someone looking for a nano though!

i also saw the marineland 5 gallon hex for $35.39. i've seen it cheaper online but usually with shipping extra.

i hate wanting more tanks...

Hrm, anyone know how much longer this place will be open before it's lights out for good? I just need to figure out where I could squeeze in time to head over there if they're not already closed, I'm sure they have some stuff I could use.

Stopped by yesterday. Some of the things are not priced correctly any longer and there's not much left. Honestly, at 30-50% off, it's about where prices should be...

On dog food and cat litter, two things I wanted to buy, they are still more expensive than other places despite the 10% off.

They definitely have some bargains on tanks, too, but there's only a couple left.

went by again today too and man...sad how it looks so much more empty now. i guess i'm in the minority when i see stores close but this store's been here since i was in elementary school (and quite possibly even before that!). hate to see a staple of my 20+ years here to just vanish like that.