210 Oceanic build

I'm working with another WAMAS member and building his 210 Oceanic into a SPS and LPS dominated reef.

He has an existing 210 tank from Oceanic but it isn't drilled. We'll be drilling it this weekend and installing a Dart internal overflow box from Glass-holes.

NAGA is building a custom sump. Circulation will be handled by 2) MP40's. There will be an ASM g4+ skimmer and the return will be a Mag 24. Controlled by an AC3. The lighting will be 9) PAR38's with 40 degree optics. I will be building the light system using Portfolio track lighting. The light system will allow for additional pendants to be added at any time. I'm trying to make this aquarium as easy as possible and with as little energy consumption as possible. Many pictures to follow, but here's a pdf of the lights and rockwork.

par 38 light system-Model.pdf

Sounds awesome. I want to do a Frag tank this summer with PAR 38's and would like your help with that Rob.

Anytime you need help, just ask.

Today we installed the Glass-Holes Dart overflow kit. I hadn't drilled a tank in 15 years, but drilling the 3/4" glass was easy especially with a diamond bit. Back in the day, we used a pipe bit and abrasive powder. We took turns and about 30 minutes later both holes were nicely cut. Dart overflow uses 2) 2" drains on an 18x3x6 box. Next week, we'll be drilling the returns- 2)@ 1.5".

I ordered a sump on Wednesday from Jeff (NAGA) and it was ready and built to same specs by Friday. Thanks Jeff!

The sump turned out to be tighter than the stand, but with the removal of the back, it fit nicely. The back of the stand needed to be removed anyway- no structural braces were removed; only sheathing.

The ASM G5 fits with enough room to pull the collection cup and clean it.

When I originally came to look at the tank, the plan was to have it in the dining room. The structural engineer advised either the basement or the bay window. The bay proved to be a near perfect fit with 1/2" on either side of the tank. There's still enough room on the sill behind the tank to grow houseplants. Instead of a black or blue background, this tank will have a living green background.

Next installment will have the following:

Shimming the tank, installation of a water valve for R/O, installation of the track lighting, drilling the returns and possibly finishing the plumbing.

May 1st deadline.

gallery_2631654_582_93156.jpg

gallery_2631654_582_823094.jpg

gallery_2631654_582_491470.jpg

gallery_2631654_582_1163134.jpg

I think it's a G5. 24" tall. The sump is virtually identical to an old skool W/D. Water comes in top left thru removable lid, down thru 2 layers of eggcrate to hold rubble and carbon/gfo. Thru the baffle into the skimmer chamber, then a partition made so the return pump draws from the bottom. Nice, clean, and easy.

Gotcha, the top plate was inside at an angle and that was throwing me off. I thought you designed something new at first. Looking forward to build thread's progression.

• 2 weeks later...

Drilling is complete. Tomorrow we'll finish gluing the plumbing and fill it with water. The carpenter shimmed the tank and the plumber installed a water line inside the stand to connect the R/O. The R/O and reservoir (yet to be made by NAGA) will fit nicely on the far end. The sump takes up the whole rest of the stand.

The lights are installed on the new track- 8 were used instead of 9 since it looks better. The drops are articulated and have a swivel on the end for almost infinite adjustability. What light system can do that?

Here's a picture of the plumbing. Basic and simple- 2) 1.5" returns and 2) 2" drains. Union check valve and ball valve on Mag 24. The other picture is how it all looks.

gallery_2631654_582_632441.jpg

gallery_2631654_582_511758.jpg

Why would you block windows with a tank??? Is that a security measure?

I guess if you ever had to get to the back of the tank you could just pop open a window and work from the outside of the house.

The tank is now finished aside from stocking. 450# of Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock arrives on Wednesday along with 250# of live sand.

We haven't leak tested the plumbing yet but everything is glued and taped so there should be no worries. The back of the tank will be partially lit with natural sunlight and the rock will be 'scaped so you can look thru the windows and watch the fish when you are on the front patio. Opening the windows makes rear access incredibly easy.

The gooseneck extensions and the track came from Lighting Universe.

Pictures from today:

gallery_2631654_582_740588.jpg

gallery_2631654_582_205385.jpg

gallery_2631654_582_246045.jpg

gallery_2631654_582_652396.jpg

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing how the natural sun light works with the system.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like nice rock, as has been all the TBS rock I have seen. Get many shrimp/crabs in the rock? What is the skinny rod in the front left third of the tank?

It's a crab spear. There are lots of crabs and shrimp. There is even a Tiger Goby that arrived alive and is doing well. Lots of snails in the live sand too. The second batch of rock will be here today for a total of 450# of rock and 250# of sand.

That's interesting... what kind of crab is it? I did a search and got some cool pictures of some. Any mantis shrimp yet?

The last of the rock arrived on Saturday along with cukes, hermits, snails, shrimps, crabs, sponges, clams, bryozoans, tunicates, barnacles, etc. Another goby even hitchhiked along in the rock. Here's another video:

(edited)

Here are some pix of some of the organisms that came with the rock and a preliminary rock stack before building the 'official' structure.

I'm thinking that this might be one of the last batches of rock to be harvested from the GOM before the oil reached Tampa Bay area...

An unknown gorgonian or colonial critter- can you id this?

gallery_2631654_582_48682.jpg

gallery_2631654_582_74149.jpggallery_2631654_582_265446.jpggallery_2631654_582_176895.jpggallery_2631654_582_470742.jpggallery_2631654_582_476044.jpggallery_2631654_582_716606.jpg

Edited by zygote2k