McCosker's Flasher Wrasse

WaterDog

(edited)

So I got this guy today and he looked perfectly fine in the store. He was in a medium sized tank with two other fish that looked perfectly fine. He was a little slow in the acclimation bucket but was lively when i was putting him in the tank. But now I'm worried. His scales are all flecked and pale, he's been pretty sluggish, and it looks like he was vomiting(if that's even possible). I'll try to get a picture up but he's hiding in a piece of PVC scrap right now so that may not be too easy. :unsure:

Edited by WaterDog

Is it in a QT? What are your params?

Setting up a Qt is a piece of cake. Get a large gold fish bowl or a 5 gallon tank or??? Whatever is comparable to your system and the size of your fish. Whenever you purchase a new fish just do a water change. Take the water our of your main tank to fill up your temporary QT. Add new water to your main tank. Plop a heater in the QT, a piece of PVC so the fish have a place to hide and a HOB filter and you've got a QT. Unless your putting clams in your Qt any aquarium light will do for fish.

So I got this guy today and he looked perfectly fine in the store. He was in a medium sized tank with two other fish that looked perfectly fine. He was a little slow in the acclimation bucket but was lively when i was putting him in the tank. But now I'm worried. His scales are all flecked and pale, he's been pretty sluggish, and it looks like he was vomiting(if that's even possible). I'll try to get a picture up but he's hiding in a piece of PVC scrap right now so that may not be too easy. unsure.gif

Is it in a QT? What are your params?

Setting up a Qt is a piece of cake. Get a large gold fish bowl or a 5 gallon tank or??? Whatever is comparable to your system and the size of your fish. Whenever you purchase a new fish just do a water change. Take the water our of your main tank to fill up your temporary QT. Add new water to your main tank. Plop a heater in the QT, a piece of PVC so the fish have a place to hide and a HOB filter and you've got a QT. Unless your putting clams in your Qt any aquarium light will do for fish.

Yeah he's in a QT that I keep running just in case anything happens. I checked the parameters a day or two ago and everything was fine. It's a 10 gallon, and theres also a royal gramma in there that I also bought today that seems to be doing fine.

Did you acclimate it well? How close was your SG to the stores SG. Always check the water in the bag to see where the stores SG is at since most run the SG allot lower then home aquariums.

He maybe stressed because he has no sand to bury himself in. A bowl of sand in the q-tank would help.

wrasse+small qt tank= carpet surfing. careful.

Thanks, good thing I got a cover on the QT.

Did you acclimate it well? How close was your SG to the stores SG. Always check the water in the bag to see where the stores SG is at since most run the SG allot lower then home aquariums.

He maybe stressed because he has no sand to bury himself in. A bowl of sand in the q-tank would help.

I acclimated him slower than normal if anything. I run a hyposalinity QT out of habit so it might be closeish to the store's. I didn't know flasher wrasses buried themselves in the sand. Does it matter what kind of sand?

I have had one sleep in the rocks and others sleep in the sand. It might just depend on where it came from. If it doesn't look stressed like it searching for sandy bottom then don't worry about the sand.

Are they eating?

(edited)

I have had one sleep in the rocks and others sleep in the sand. It might just depend on where it came from. If it doesn't look stressed like it searching for sandy bottom then don't worry about the sand.

Are they eating?

He kind of lies on the bottom, so I'm not sure if that means he's really looking for sand. They both just ate, with the wrasse actually eating more ravenously than the gramma. He's kind of swimming around some, but he still has the somewhat flecked scales and goes back onto the bottom once he's done swimming.

Edited by WaterDog

If they are eating then they are fine. I don't know anything about these wrasse but if they burrow then they most likely like hanging out at the bottom. as long as fish are eating they're okay.

He kind of lies on the bottom, so I'm not sure if that means he's really looking for sand. They both just ate, with the wrasse actually eating more ravenously than the gramma. He's kind of swimming around some, but he still has the somewhat flecked scales and goes back onto the bottom once he's done swimming.

He just sounds stressed more then anything. If he is eating well, he is probably fine. Fish will lose some color when in QT because of stress, their surroundings are plain and the PVC is white.

Wrasses also change colors dramatically when they are "sleeping" versus when they are awake. I don't know if the ones that bury themselves will do this, but the ones that sleep in the rock typically secrete a bunch of mucus as a sleeping bag of sorts that protects them from some predators.