Frag No More? Endangered Species Proposal Threatens Marine Aquaculture

Wow! So what can be done? I'm not someone w/ a Phd. behind their name but if I were to want one of these in the future, I'd like to have that option.

To whom do I write?

I don't have a phd, but I do have a coral farm... of sorts. Legislative idiocy - will make a black market for corals, and force people like J.... out of business. J.... doesn't take corals out of the wild - he keeps corals FROM being taken out of the wild, by propagating them in captivity. On 100th the scale, I do the same thing. That's the part of this hobby I like - the fish are just for decoration. I saw this when it was posted before - but the 'little guy' is pretty much defenseless against thermo-nuclear level stupidity.

bob

I'm pretty sure that when the article states that aquaculturing of these corals will be banned, only means growing them in the ocean and not in our individual aquaria.

If they are made endangered then just owning them will be against the law unless you have a permit. I doubt the average reefer would be able to get permits, more likely reserved for the zoos and aquariums.

We will have to do some research to consider whether a 501©3 can submit a letter. In general, I believe that as a non-profit educational org we can't lobby/engage in political activities.

I'm pretty sure that when the article states that aquaculturing of these corals will be banned, only means growing them in the ocean and not in our individual aquaria.

Pointedly not so - I recall from reading this proposal several months ago that you could own them, but could not sell them, could not transport across state lines, etc. What's more, they want you to register them, and they would be taxed, etc.

bob

I found the responses, and how to respond. Eric Borneman gives them a bit of a smack-down... Here is a snippet:

... With regard to the octocoral, Heliopora coerulea, I could almost not think of a species in the Indo-Pacific less needed for listing. For the scleractinian genera and species, the species chosen in the genus Pavona are very odd as this is also a genus that is very resilient and common and resistant to stress. In all area I have visited where it occurs, Pavona and Heliopora are highly resilient and thriving with life history traits amendable to continued resilience. Yet, there are some other rare species of Pavona that should be listed but are not. It is a shame that this list is so poorly thought out and only by almost random choice were some species chosen that are good candidates for ESA listing...

bob

If you believe for a second that a smack down by Eric or you assume this will not impact the average owner just look at what they are doing to almost every other industry. These people in government dont care about anything other then the power to regulate you. They will do it in the name of anything.

I am the CEO of a good size 501©3. You can get in more trouble by advocating a letter writing campaing sometimes than writing and informative letter to decisionmakers. I think it is acceptable for us to inform Congress of the state of the hobby and our goals to support the hobby in a sustainable way. You can inform without requesting specific legislative action.

I have walked this line many times including testimony to Congress. Let me know if I can help at all with this.

Bill

Until the industry regulates its supply chain and makes it transparent, there will be people who want to shut it down. Fish, coral, whatever, it is time that the ornamentals industry pays more than lipservice to the idea of sustainable collection and aquaculture before someone successfully puts a stop to everything.

• 2 weeks later...