Closed Loop or MP40's

bankyf

Which way should I go on my new rimless 110. I have an OM 4-way, dart pump and bulkheads(no holes yet), but I also have 3 vortechs, 2 of which have already been converted to eco smart. Ecotech has some pretty interesting new flow patterns using 3 pumps and eco smart drivers. Pros and Cons of each way? I know the closed loop may appear as a cleaner install, but it is also several point of failure for a leak. Any other input?

Closed loops are more a thing of the past I would think. Especially if you already have vortecs. There is no drilling, no possible leaks, less power, more flow options, ease of maintainance, ect.

I like the clean look of the vortecs vs. any other pump or closed loop out there. Although I will probably be using 2 vortecs and 2 tunze's on my new tank, just because the vortecs can't be angled and it is a 6ft tank. On a 4ft I would use two-three and be very happy with the flow. Especially with the options available on the ecosmart ones.

I agree with Sikryd I would go with Vortechs.

PHs

pros

More efficient, usually and more flow for the size

cons

can be bulky

CL

pros

Can be made to be almost invisible to the total setup

cons

not very efficient, generally energy hogs.

you really only need 2 of the vortechs and then you could use the third to swap during cleaning. did you ever get the issues resolved with the tank? glad to see your setting it up, can't wait to see that sucker full

What size MP's are you talking about?

A closed loop would look cleaner then three MP's stuck to the glass.

Is noise an issue? Which setup would be the loudest?

Which setup requires more maintenance?