10g specs

michaelg

well, this new forum needs some content.

Here are the specs of my daughter's 10 gallon (which I do most of the work)

10 gallon el cheapo tank

2x36W PCs from AH supply retrokit (now buy bulbs from hellolights), 1 10K and 1 actinic.

2 small powerheads (baby maxijets), 1 feeds 1 gallon fuge

1 small eheim hang on back use only for some extra circulation and every blue moon some carbon.

50W heater in the fuge.

Some live rock and live sand (no idea how much on either)

Water changes, try at least once a month. 1-3 gallons depending how much is leftover from a water change on the other tanks.

Additives- some home brew 2 part suppliments (calcium and alk).

Water tests, about never.

Makeup water, RO/DI added into fuge which gravity drains into tank.

Inhabitants-

1 firesaddleback clown

1 mated pair of golden coral banded shrimp from Dr. Mac

A few snails

2 wesophyllia brains- 1 electric green and about 10 inches or more when expanded, and one red and green, about 5 inches expanded

Tons of anthelia

tons of pink zoanthids- the latter 2 just grew likes weeds

2 Caluestras, one green(about 12 heads), and 1 pink (about 20 heads)

1 frogspawn (euphyllia divisia)

Wow, only once a month water changes on your nano? I'm one of those people that have always done once a week water changes on my nanos. Heck I still do once a week changes on my not-so-nano 30 cube. Guess that's why I don't get much skimmate eh?

Are you interested in parting with a couple of heads of your pink caulestra? I just put a two head green caulestra into my 2.5 nano and it seems to be doing well. I have no shame...I'll beg for corals. hehe

• 1 month later...
Guest bill33

my specs of my 10g

10g tank

10 pounds of lr

1 pound of ls

20inch 96watt powerquad

small hob filter

prism skimmer

via 80 powerhead

live stock

various shrooms

montipora branching

zoos

xenas

pair of oceallaris clowns

various snails

i drip kalk  one drop per 5 seconds

with your daughters 10g how much evaporation is she losing?

The evaporation isn't too bad on the tank.  I add some water back a couple times a week.  I know the salinity swings some, but nothing adverse.  There is a small refugium tank above the 10g that I dump everything into.  The hood is fairly enclosing made out of 1 x 6 pine.  I have never checked the temp on the tank, but from the "hand test" it doesn't get too warm.  NOTE**** I have described a lot of practices, here and in other threads, with this tank that I would not recommend or suggest.  The husbandry I exhibit is somewhat out of laziness, and somewhat out of having a good feel about the tank.  This is something that comes from a lot of experience and knowledgable observation.  The larger tank is more demanding for a lot of reasons and I practice more rigorous upkeep such as water changes, carbon, skimming, feeding, etc.  I think part of the sucess of the small tank is in the nature of the corals themselves and their ability to withstand/thrive in higher nutrient conditions.  Pure speculation though.

Guest bill33
i dont have a heater cause my water gets 80.2 degrees during the dayand at night its 78.3ish,  my lights keep everything warm,  i have a prism skimmer on it and i was wondering if i can get a little neon goby in there