Baby shrimp?

WaterDog

I saw one of the peppermint shrimp hanging out with this big tannish mass under its (her I guess) tail. Could these be eggs? And how/would I be able to raise them?

Pictures of the possible mother: gallery_2632200_728_129339.jpg

Edited by WaterDog

You would have to catch it and put it in a tank all by itself with low flow and loads of hiding places.

I'm learning as I go along with my 12 plus skunk cleaner babes. I've got them in a tank filled with macro with a heater, a 70 watt MH a small HOB filter and a nano powerhead. When they are very very tiny they like to hide under rocks, ledges and in between macro. you can hardly see them with the naked eye or a magnifying glass. As they get older, about 5 weeks or so, they are big enough to see with the naked eye and they start to move up higher, closer to the light. They also start to venture out a little further from their hiding spots. They dart around very quickly at first. They may appear to some as amphipods but they are shrimp. As they get bigger they slow down. Shrimp are scavengers and these guys are proving that. I'm finding that anything small enough for them to break up and eat, they'll eat; flake food, cyclopeeze, pellets.... good luck!

!

Edited by Jan

You would have to catch it and put it in a tank all by itself with low flow and loads of hiding places.

I'm learning as I go along with my 12 plus skunk cleaner babes. I've got them in a tank filled with macro with a heater, a 70 watt MH a small HOB filter and a nano powerhead. When they are very very tiny they like to hide under rocks, ledges and in between macro. you can hardly see them with the naked eye or a magnifying glass. As they get older, about 5 weeks or so, they are big enough to see with the naked eye and they start to move up higher, closer to the light. They also start to venture out a little further from their hiding spots. They dart around very quickly at first. They may appear to some as amphipods but they are shrimp. As they get bigger they slow down. Shrimp are scavengers and these are guys are proving that. I'm finding that anything small enough for them to break up and eat, they'll eat; flake food, cyclopeeze, pellets.... good luck!

!

Thanks, now I'm glad I have that extra 5 gallon sitting around. I don't know if I'll be able to have it set up by the time the eggs hatch though. How long do the eggs take to hatch?

Do you have two shrimp? There needs to be 2 skunk cleaners for the eggs to be fretilized. I have one skunk cleaner in my pico and it never gets eggs. I assume that all shrimp of the Lysmata family are the same. I notice that once a month, after they molt, my Lysmata amboinensis are empty. So sometime either before, after or during their molt they let their fry out.

Dave Lin posted something about them laying live fry not too long ago in response to something I wrote. You may want to read what he wrote.

Thanks, now I'm glad I have that extra 5 gallon sitting around. I don't know if I'll be able to have it set up by the time the eggs hatch though. How long do the eggs take to hatch?

Edited by Jan

Do you have two shrimp? There needs to be 2 skunk cleaners for the eggs to be fretilized. I have one skunk cleaner in my pico and it never gets eggs. I assume that all shrimp of the Lysmata family are the same. I notice that once a month, after they molt, my Lysmata amboinensis are empty. So sometime either before, after or during their molt they let their fry out.

Dave Lin posted something about them laying live fry not to long ago in response to something I wrote. You may want to read what he wrote.

Yeah there are two shrimp. In that case I may just give them a chance to molt and lay eggs while I get the 5 gal set up. And thanks I'll check that out.

Waterdog, Im setting up a breeding system for inverts. Peppermint Shrimp larva go through 7 different stages. zoae 1-7. With them molting at each stage. Peppermint are the easier ones to breed, but I would expect some losses. Like Justin said getting them into their own larvae tank or growout tank , you will have better results.

Waterdog, Im setting up a breeding system for inverts. Peppermint Shrimp larva go through 7 different stages. zoae 1-7. With them molting at each stage. Peppermint are the easier ones to breed, but I would expect some losses. Like Justin said getting them into their own larvae tank or growout tank , you will have better results.

I'm moving the fish in the quarantine tank out of there soon, would that be suitable? It's somewhat hyposalinity at 1.015-1.018. Is that too low for peppermints?

Shrimp do not handle swings in SG very well so the shift would have to be really slow. I would recommend raising the SG up before placing the shrimp in there.

They are shrimp eggs and they spawn every month or two. I doubt you will be able to raise them, I have never heard of anyone actually doing that but good luck anyway.

You have to maintain 1.025 to 1.026I don't have an ATO in the tank with the shrimp so I have to add about 1/4 gallion of RO/DI water every day. they're doing fine.

It's been about 3 weeks since I've noticed the shrimp and they're thriving and moving around super fast. I hope a few do survive. I'm not doing anything special. Maybe that's why they're still alive. As a matter of fact that tank gets water changes less frequent than my main tank. the water is yellowish/green because I don't have an skimmer on that tank.

you can do that. Do not do wc for the first 2 weeks. Air stone with fine bubbles, heater. Your going to need different foods, Rots and nhbbs. marinebreeder.org has alot of good info. You can also get April's book off Amazon. How to raise and train your peppermint shrimp.

you can do that. Do not do wc for the first 2 weeks. Air stone with fine bubbles, heater. Your going to need different foods, Rots and nhbbs. marinebreeder.org has alot of good info. You can also get April's book off Amazon. How to raise and train your peppermint shrimp.

Blah, rots. Where does one get rots? And what are nhbbs?

Thanks for answering the questions, I just don't want to kill these little guys.

rotifiers. and New hatched baby brine shrimp, both you will need to culture.

Dang. New question: How does one culture rots and brine shrimp?

You need a starter culture of rotifiers. You can culture them in bucket at a salinty of 1.018-19. They need to be fed phytoplankton and need an airstone and stable temps. brine shrimp you can hatch in a brine shrimp hatchery. They hatch in 16-24hrs. brineshrimpdirect.com has eggs and kits. You can get phyto and rots from Almon on here. So as you can see it is some work to try to grow these guys out.

In thinking about what I told you. I would just stick with hatching the nhbbs and try that.

Ok, I'll have to check brine shrimp direct. Thanks