Covers!

WaterDog

I realized that with a Six-Line Wrasse and a Midas Blenny soon to be in the tank, we should look into getting a cover or hood. I was thinking a plexiglass cover and then cutting out the outlines of where things like the refugium, overflow etc. would be. Is there a better alternative like eggcrate? Or would that interfere with the light?

I got some clear netting like the window screen from a nano-reef guy - works great

just to be contrarian - I use plexiglass cut to fit. my major reason was to cut down on evaporation finding it's way into the attic creating damage, but it's helped with jumpers. I figure the skimmer saturates the oxygen content.

Thanks for the input, just a few more questions.

Could the plexiglass have airholes drilled in it for the gas exchange? And how would one get the netting to fit over the tank so it could be removed?

The netting in the window screen frame can be removed by just lifting out the frame.

You would need allot of holes for proper air flow. The plexi might fog up and block light to the corals. Unless the plexi is thick enough it may sag in the middle.

The netting in the window screen frame can be removed by just lifting out the frame.

You would need allot of holes for proper air flow. The plexi might fog up and block light to the corals. Unless the plexi is thick enough it may sag in the middle.

Ohhh so you would put the whole frame in. Is there a frame that fits a bowfront?

I made mine out of clear mesh and a screen frame just like this:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t212941.html

It sits down on the inner lip of the rim, so you really can't see it unless you're looking down from the top. Not sure how you could modify it for a bowfront, but I'm sure it can be done. Mine blocks very little light compared to the eggcrate I used a while ago. I keep it on there to make sure my mystery wrasse and midas blenny don't go carpet surfing.

I used plexi and it overheats and bends down toward the glass. Once a week I have to turn it over and let it bend the other way. Use glass!

My plexiglass only bends a little, (2' x 2' sections) but it does fog up in the morning with condensation, but that burns off minutes after the lites are turned on. I wash them about once/month, but probably should once/wk. I haven't drilled any holes, but don't see any reason why not, although it would become less stable and might warp more.

(edited)

So I've been looking around for the polypropelene and have yet to find it. Would galvanized hardware cloth work? Or would that rust?

EDIT: We actually found 1/4" polypropelene, but it's black. Would that cut down too much on the light?

Edited by WaterDog

FWIW here is a picture of my cover over my 150. It took about 15 minutes to build with parts from Lowes. I got the netting online. Minnimal light loss. No carpet surfing yet.

Cover.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we tried that screening idea and it didn't work very well with the bowfront. The midas blenny then decided to make a jump for it. :cry: So, we're going to try the eggcrate cover to see how that works.

for the bowfront you should be able to take a piece of wood trim and soak it in water to get it to slowly bend to fit the curve (much like wook railings) then dry it, once it has dried you can use it along with the regular frame, it would take some work but i bet it would work and could be done over the weekend.

Or you could try to use magnets glued to the cured part of the tank and trap the screen in between the magnets

I hope you werent using the screen from lowes, for the most part they dont carry stuff that has small enough holes (somtimes hobby/knitting store have it.

I am soon to join the screen club on my 90