What could this be?

Incredible Corals

I bought a colony of yellow polyps from blue zoo. About a month later I noticed flat, reddish, petals growing around the polyps and all over the rock. I tried to take a pic but in the picture you can't make it out because it's in the back of the tank. Any ideas?

my first thought was corralline but probably a macro of some sort...

I'm not familiar with the taxonomical names of the various algae, but I would hazard a guess at a type of coralline algae, too. There is a red plating one out there. One question to aid in identification is whether it's soft or hard, that will let us know if it's a calcerous algae or if it's a soft bodied algae.

I agree with Hilary, it sounds like a macro algae. Maybe Fauchea laciniata or a Callophyllis sp.

I google imaged those name and it does look like "fauchea laciniata". This is the image from google that look similar

bep_5995s.jpg

So is this stuff okay to leave on the rock and let it do it's thing?

• 1 year later...

I google imaged those name and it does look like "fauchea laciniata". This is the image from google that look similar

bep_5995s.jpg

So is this stuff okay to leave on the rock and let it do it's thing?

That species pictured above is definitely Palmaria mollis or red ribbon seaweed (often confused with Sparlingia pertusa). Fauchea laciniata, on the other hand, has very distinct bright iridescent blue-violet fan-shaped blades that are usually highly branched at the apices. Definitely my favorite seaweed! :D

Fauchea laciniata:

post-2633110-132700569596_thumb.jpg

Is there a variety of this that grows more like deer antlers vs a fan? I just noticed some red iridescent macro growing on a mushroom rock I have...

That species pictured above is definitely Palmaria mollis or red ribbon seaweed (often confused with Sparlingia pertusa). Fauchea laciniata, on the other hand, has very distinct bright iridescent blue-violet fan-shaped blades that are usually highly branched at the apices. Definitely my favorite seaweed! :D

Fauchea laciniata:

there are so many different kinds of red macro algae .. ive had atleast 3 kinds in one of my tanks... as long as its not taking over, and most of it is slow growing... so you should be good.