Removing clam from rock

baio44

Any tricks for removing a small clam's foot from a rock. Don't want to hurt her just by pulling. Do i pull, twist, razor blade, annoy?

Thanks

Assuming it is a Maxima, Crocea, etc., in my experience, you'll want to trim the bysal filaments: extremely carefully. I used very sharp, stainless, scissors when I could, a razor blade when there was not space. Trim closest to the rock.

Assuming it is a Maxima, Crocea, etc., in my experience, you'll want to trim the bysal filaments: extremely carefully. I used very sharp, stainless, scissors when I could, a razor blade when there was not space. Trim closest to the rock.

All above my opinion as well.

I used a scalpel since it was easier to handle

Make sure you don't cut the byssal organ or the clam will die. Just do as recommended and cut the filaments that are attaching the clam to the rock as close to the rock as possible. I would just cut with a razor.

I think that the best way is to steam it until the shell starts to open and then serve with butter and cocktail sauce! :tongue:

A few steamed zoas as garnish wouldn't hurt either would it Steve.

Do not pull at it no matter what you do. You risk tearing the bysal foot. If you can't reach the filaments with scissors or razor, it's best to chip off the piece of rock it's attached to.

-R

Tilt the clam slightly over to one side so you can see the strands and cut them a few at a time.

I have also had luck pointing a power head at them. Once they get irritated they will drop the bundle from within and move or bail from that location to find something better. The strand bundle will be left in place.

(edited)

Can you get under the clam to the rock? I would try cutting the rock with a pair of bone cutters and leave the bysal gland intact. Using a razor blade when it's attached to glass like at the bottom of your tank is fine. Too much manipulation while it's attached to a rock may cause ripping to the bysal bland and clams don't usually survive tears to the bysal gland.

In the future whenever you get a clam do not place it directly into the rock work and let it attach itself there first. Place the clam in a plastic bowl filled with larger than rubble pieces of rock so that it can attach itself to the loose rock first, once attached you can attach that rock to anything. You also want to make sure that the clam is as close to light as possible. Never wedge a clam in between the rock work. It looks great but the clam will get bigger and wont be able to open fully. They need to open wide to pull in nutrients from the water and to get maximum light, these are the things they need most for survival.

If you're not too far away I can help. LMK.

Edited by Jan