STDS?

lanman

Last evening, at 11:20, I fed my fish. My valonia-eating yellow tang was right there competing with the rest for food.

At 11:45, when I was getting ready to go upstairs, took one last look around the tanks, and there was my yellow tang, laying on the bottom of the tank, dead!

Heart attack? Usually a dying fish seems to stretch it out for a while!

Any ideas? Ever seen this before??

bob

Do you guys remember the Pepsi commercial when the gold fish played dead and got flushed... are you sure no one is training the fish when you're away?

Seriously, that sucks! I bet it was old age...

This past summer, I lost my 7 year old hippo tang, one of the fattest, healthiest 6" fish I've ever kept. My suspicion is that he got accidentally spined by the rabbitfish during one of the typical feeding frenzies, or possibly tailspined by another tang and bled out or got infected.

Do you have Green Chromis in the tank?

Yes - the same 6 that have been in there with him for the last 2 years. They pretty much ignore one another.

bob

yep maybe it was just old age..sorry for the loss Bob...

I think these fish can live 30 years or more. I've seen some YTs in Hawaii that were near dinner plate sized, never seen any nearly that large in captivity. But size doesn't necessarily correspond to age. I doubt many fish except jawfish and maybe some clowns and centropyge angels have lived max lifespans in aquaria.

This past summer, I lost my 7 year old hippo tang, one of the fattest, healthiest 6" fish I've ever kept. My suspicion is that he got accidentally spined by the rabbitfish during one of the typical feeding frenzies, or possibly tailspined by another tang and bled out or got infected.

A possibility, though I found no wounds. The purple tang has become very territorial in his little area during feeding. Even though he stays in his defined area because the yellow tang wouldn't let him go anywhere else - he would go after the yellow if it got too close. And the hippo tang has gotten so big and fast and clumsy, he might accidentally swim right through another fish (or coral, or anything else). When I was examining him, a little bit of blood did come out of his gill, but hardly noticeable.

bob

A possibility, though I found no wounds. The purple tang has become very territorial in his little area during feeding. Even though he stays in his defined area because the yellow tang wouldn't let him go anywhere else - he would go after the yellow if it got too close. And the hippo tang has gotten so big and fast and clumsy, he might accidentally swim right through another fish (or coral, or anything else). When I was examining him, a little bit of blood did come out of his gill, but hardly noticeable.

bob

So your yellow rules your purple, thought it was the other way around.

So your yellow rules your purple, thought it was the other way around.

I guess that is normally anticipated. Just didn't work that way.

bob

On 2 seperate occasions, I've had YT's mysteriously die overnight or turn my back and look to see that the YT has died. Both times, there were Green Chromis in the vicinity. Full size adult Chromis. Maybe a coincidence.

That just happened to my yellow tang as well. However, mine looked to be a little bloaded in his intestinal area. I don't recall him pooping in the weeks that led up to his death (couldn't watch him all the time but he usually pooped as he ate).

Bob last spring I had the same thing happen to all of my tang population except for my sohl(spelling) my yellow died then my naso then my hippo,sailfin,powder blue then my black and white angel the reef safe one and finally the sohol tang died a couple of months after that.Wow $500.00 or more in fish death.not sure what happened only ended up with my cleaner wrasse,5 green cromis,2 clowns(one being my 21 year old one) Pseudochromis and Dottyback Fish. the only thing that could of happens is I did add a pseudochromis and did not quarantine it. so it might of had a disease :huh: man that was expensive. :cry: so now in my 2 grow outs I have some small tangs and starting over. sorry to high jack the thread,but I have no idea as well and never made a post about it.What about the cromis thing.my population was well over 3 years old.