Hanging metal halide fixture

TonyInVa

I will be hanging a metal halide fixture. Has anyone hung thier fixture where the cables dont run straight down. The hanging holes on the fixture are 36 1/4 inches apart. My ceiling beams are 16 inches on center apart. I would like to avoid altering the ceiling.If anyone has thier cables running at an angle, I would appreciate if you can post a picture.

Tony - I had the same problem, but the other way. In order for my MH to be right in the middle of my tank, both of the hangers would fall right between the joists in the ceiling. I just cut 2 1x4s and ran them from one joist to the other. Then I hung my fixture from them. Painted them white and you don't really notice.

How far down from the ceiling do you want to hang the light? 16" apart that means you could span 2 beams and be at 32". I'm not a big construction guy but 36 1/4" down to 32" isn't much. Assuming it's hanging down a bit, that could be a pretty reasonable slope. Alternatively if you can't put the 1x4"s in like Steve suggests, that would probably be better.

I have a textured ceiling, which makes things a little more difficult. The other issue I am having is finding the studs. The texture ceiling is throwing my stud finder off.

use drywall screw anchors rated for 50# and you'll be fine. That's what I did and unless a monkey is swinging on the light, it'll never come out of the drywall.

These lights are pretty darn heavy. It is the Aqua Medic Sunlight NG. I am not sure of the exact weight, I did a search but can't find it. I also want to be sure it will hold. Couldn't imagine the lights falling and breaking the tank.

Anyone have experience with these heavy duty wall anchors?

Different light but I used the wall anchors to hold a 8X54 Tek Light. I never worried once. The anchors held no prob. Maybe buy a stronger anchor (100lb vice 50lb) to ease your mind.

Using decent drywall anchors should keep you safe. If you want an adjustable height light, hanging it with the cables at an angle isn't an option because it will hinder the ability to adjust the light

Make sure that you look properly at the rating on the anchors. Most drywall anchors are rated for use in vertical walls and it goes down with horizontal use. I would get the ones that open up inside the wall and grip it. If you happen to be able to screw one into a joist, fantastic, just make sure to get it into the center of the joist if you can to avoid cracking the edge of the joist. Can't for the life of me remember the name of that type of anchor...

Tony, If you're uncomfortable using wall anchors, you could use butterfly fasteners. You drill a somewhat oversized hole and to backpart folds up and goes into the hole. They work pretty well.

Thanks for all the input. I looked at Home Depot. They do not sell anything for horizontal use. I ended up ordering the Current Fixture Arms.

FYI, I don't believe any of the hangers are actually designed for horizontal use but can be used. You can also take a piece of wood and simply stick it in there to do it if you want. Drywall is actually pretty strong stuff if you're simply putting pressure against it.