DC Reefer presents "300 gallons of Happiness"

dcreefer

Things are coming along nicely, I see.

It's hard to tell (because of the focus), but the brown things you're looking to identify may be Aiptasia - a nuisance anemone. It could also be some sort of feather duster. Look up pictures of each or, if you're able, get a clearer picture to post.

Based on their tiny size and general appearance, I'd guess they're a nuisance hydroid. Not the worst pest ever, but tough to get rid of.

Jon

I bought some big pieces of LR (priced really well) and once I got them home and dropped them in the tank I discovered little growths (dare I say polyps) coming out into the light!

Check it out and help me identify please... What are these?

09ca4241.jpg

• 8 months later...

Well it has been a long while since I have updated my thread so

Hey Dan,

I used a piece of vinyl tubing and pvc glue to couple the shut off valve to the skimmer housing. Wasn't a hard fix but between school, family and work...I just could not get a momment to really go for it. I fixed it about a week ago.

If the tubing fix starts to fail, I am going to drill the actual case/housing of the skimmer and add a bulkhead. :idea: (I may actually do that anyway over the summer.) I'll take pics

Thanks for your ideas!

What are you using for a skimmer now?

A couple of pics...

Recently added a Unicorn Tang...Thanks Renee!!!

a516b3f5.jpg

4632e55c.jpg

And a Video!

[url=http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/dcreefer/?action=view

This is a video under the old lights...

th_cf2b3c45.jpg

The old lights were great, but they were nearly $100 a bulb (x 4) and they needed to be changed at least twice a year (really every 3 to 4 months).

The new bubls are the $13 ones and they seem to be doing pretty good by the livestock. I have mixed the 14K and the 20K but, I will be going to all 20K soon.

• 1 year later...

After acquiring a pretty good amount of new rock from Brian Ward (thanks B), I am in the midst of a restructure!

Here is a video of the "tang topia". I added a new purple tang and the whole crew seems to be getting along.

th_Movieon10-7-12at1037PM_zps207aae0f.jpg

The "Needs"list:

Air, Water and Ice Neptune (my current RO/DI just cannot produce water fast enough)

New Large Custom Sump with huge grow out refugium (need more room for growing red gracilaria)

Ozotech Poseidon 200 Kit

The Wishlist:

Dialyseas (any model)

Remote 250g sump

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Closure...we moved and the new home owners did not want a reef tank in their home...

Removing the top trim

Removing the base trim

Time to move

So tank has been removed... and sold.  It is currently being used as a grow out tank for big belly seahorses!

Seahorseconservancy

gallery_2633089_1407_247921.png

I am in the process of building a new tank...

Check it out!

Happiness 2.0 "The Happiness Awakens"