Monster hitchiker

Sharkey18

Look what came on my order from Tampa Bay Saltwater.

I think I'll need to buy her a ticket to send her back. Comes complete with eggs... great.

IMG_1960.jpg

Look what came on my order from Tampa Bay Saltwater.

I think I'll need to buy her a ticket to send her back. Comes complete with eggs... great.

IMG_1960.jpg

For every one of these you find, there are probably 10 more hiding out. Octopus food!

Looks like a gorilla crab (xanthid). A very common pest found on Gulf rock. I spent quite a time getting them off of my TBS rock when I first started. My most effective tool to rid my tank of them was a bamboo skewer (and a stealthy hunting technique). I tried traps and managed to catch one or two this way, but they're very cautious. And when you have a tank full of hermits (which often come with TBS' "the package"), you often get a trap full of them, and not the gorilla crab you set out to catch.

I am sure someone with a mantis shrimp, or snowflake eel may want it.

You could dunk the rocks in club soda for a few minutes to flush out the crabs.

:rolleyes: That'd be me! If you need to get rid of it, I've got a mantis at school and also a mantis that is at a student's house for an experiment that they are conducting on the ability of a mantis to break through plastic to get to food... going to the meeting?

I'd be happy to bring it to the meeting Dave... although I would feel bad for her. :(

I was lucky and didn't have to trap her. I examined each piece of rock as I unpacked it and she scared the crap out of me when I pulled her rock out. I saw her and kind of just flicked her off the rock back into the bag. No way she was going in my tank. She's in the sump right now.

Laura