Questions for Generator Experts

OldReefer

I have above-ground power lines and have had a number of outages for the past 2 years. I have been thinking about a generator, but the last storm has pushed me over the edge.

I am trying to decide if I go with a bigger unit (5,000 watts or so) that could run my tank and my furnace through a transfer switch or an interlock device, or a smaller inverter unit (2,000 watts) that could run my tank and a TV with a couple of extension cords.

I like the idea of a bigger unit, but I can see myself running into a lot of money if I have to pay an electrician to install a transfer switch and build some sort of shelter for it. I also understand I would not be able to watch my plasma TV because the power is pretty dirty.

The smaller unit is simpler to carry around and would cost far less because I would not need to hardwire it to the house. It would put out nice clean power and run quiet, but I am worried that the inverter output would not be able to run my return pump.

So any advice? Is there a cheap way to connect the big generator, and if I go with a smaller inverter unit will the square wave off the inverter fry my return pump?

I have above-ground power lines and have had a number of outages for the past 2 years. I have been thinking about a generator, but the last storm has pushed me over the edge.

I am trying to decide if I go with a bigger unit (5,000 watts or so) that could run my tank and my furnace through a transfer switch or an interlock device, or a smaller inverter unit (2,000 watts) that could run my tank and a TV with a couple of extension cords.

I like the idea of a bigger unit, but I can see myself running into a lot of money if I have to pay an electrician to install a transfer switch and build some sort of shelter for it. I also understand I would not be able to watch my plasma TV because the power is pretty dirty.

The smaller unit is simpler to carry around and would cost far less because I would not need to hardwire it to the house. It would put out nice clean power and run quiet, but I am worried that the inverter output would not be able to run my return pump.

So any advice? Is there a cheap way to connect the big generator, and if I go with a smaller inverter unit will the square wave off the inverter fry my return pump?

I have one that's about 5000W and another that is 2000W. The larger one is on wheels, and is actually easier to move around than the smaller one. I've used the smaller ones for years, and never fried anything.

I, too, would like to know how much a transfer switch might cost.

bob

I have one that's about 5000W and another that is 2000W. The larger one is on wheels, and is actually easier to move around than the smaller one. I've used the smaller ones for years, and never fried anything.

I, too, would like to know how much a transfer switch might cost.

bob

Why here's one! :-) $200

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mat/1598588591.html

Bob, Good to hear there are no problems with those little inverter units and return pumps. They seem to put out much better power than the square sine wave that comes out of a computer UPS.

I have been thinking 2,000 watts would take care of my system pretty easily. My return pump takes 90 watts when it is running. Even if my house gets down to 40-50 degrees I suppose 400-500 watts of heaters would keep my 150 gallon tank warm. Sicce skimmer pumps are and Vortechs would probably use less than 100 watts all together. That would leave me with enough electricity to watch TV or run my computer.

Now I just have to consider that my wife would have other priorities (like running the furnace and the refrigerator).

The transfer switches don't look too expensive to buy, but I sure would want a pro doing the install with proper permits. It looks like quite a job (maybe $500+).

I have a 6500 that I picked up as a floor modeal at sams club last year for around $400. I wanted a little bigger, but I could not pass up this deal. I agree that I would much rather roll this thing around than lug the smaller 1800 watt that I also have. I purchased a 6 circuit transfer switch from home depot for around $200 and installed it myself. It is pretty easy to install, but probably safest to have an electrician do it. If you were willing to mount it, run the wires and identify the circuits you wanted to use it would not take an electrician more than an hour to make the connections. I run power to the gas furnace, refrigerator, all of my tank equipment, the microwave, sump pump, my entire entertainment center and the bedroom outlets for my daughters seahorse tank. Really the only thing we don't have that would be nice is lights, but we can live without during an outage. During the snowstorm power went out and all we had to do was roll the generator outside, plug the cable into the transfer switch, start the generator and flip a few switches. My wife was watching the TIVO on the LCD tv and after I ran an extension cord to the fios we were watching live tv and surfing the internet. Never had any issues with dirty power. When the light come back on we know it is time to turn the generator off.

If it were me, I'd go whole-house natural gas system with automatic transfer switch on the panel. Yes, it's more expensive. A lot more expensive. But it's nearly foolproof, it's a permanent installation, and an endless supply of fuel (natural gas service is rarely cut during an ice storm, snow storm or hurricane).

I actually purchased one of those after the hurricane a few years ago that caused our power to go out for 3 days. Turns out that the gas company needs to dig up the valve at the street to install a higher flow valve ($700 charge), and the gas and electric enter on opposite ends of my house. It just became too complicated and expensive. I sold it on ebay and got most of my money back out of it. Can't say that I regret it as the power has not been out more than 3 or 4 times since then and never for more than an hour or two. Kind of like the "I need the biggest and best snowblower they make" syndrome that some people(me included) have right now, when in reality it will probably be a few years before we even see 12" of snow again.

Total out of pocket for my system was about $800. This includes the Troy-built 3750w generator ($400), Reliance transfer switch ($275), and the electrician to hook it up, mount the transfer switch, and re-wire the transfer switch so the plug-in for the generator extension cord on the side of the house.

I will do this again if we ever buy another house that has power-lines above ground or bad power.

I plan to add a whole house surge suppressor, and possibly get a bigger generator if I find that the amperage draw is a bit much for this one for what we would like to run.

I would definitely recommend a transfer switch for ease of operation. Especially if someone watches your house for you. Then there is no guesswork on what needs to be plugged in, ect. Just plug it in, flip the switches and your back in business.

After a five day outage a few years ago, I went with a whole-house Generac -- 15kw, auto cut-over switch, etc that is large enough to run everything including one AC/heater unit. I've never noticed any problem running any appliances, but then again I don't have a plasma so I can't speak to that. We don't have natural gas in the neighborhood, but we already had a 100g propane tank buried in the back yard. This will last us about 50 hours of continuous use, but we've stretched it to last almost a week by running it a few hours at a time to make sure the water stays circulated/skimmed enough and the upstairs stays warm enough. Total cost and installation was just under $5000, but we were putting an addition on the house at the time, so we just rolled it into that cost. As for a shelter for the switch, I'm not sure what you mean, but for us it's just another panel that gets mounted to the wall next to the existing electric panel.

If it makes it any easier, just consider that it is a true capital investment for the house. I'll never have another house without one in a neighborhood with above ground power lines :-)

Matt

I was thinking of a shelter for the generator. I thought you might have to have something to protect the portable generators from the weather while it is running outside.

The shelter required will depend on the generator. Some are made to be outside while other need to be covered from the elements. If you do built a shelter make sure it has good air flow. Also pay attention to the exhaust as I saw on the news last week where a guy burned his house down because the muffler was up against the house.