Upgrading from T5s to MHs

onux20

I am looking for recommendations on a good method to acclimate corals from T5(8x54) to MH(2x250 w/ 2T5). I know there is no one way to do it (or is there?) so I am looking for advice.

So my plan is something like this...

T5 on 1300

MH1 on at 1400

MH2 on at 1500

MH1 off at 1600

MH2 off at 1700

T5 off at 2100

Do that until I work up to my end state of both MHs on for 5-6 hours a day. (I may keep the stagged start times of the MHs to keep tank temps down). Should I make adjustments in hours or minutes? Is my starting point too aggressive? How long should the transition take?

Thoughts please.

Ron

When I switched from 8 T5s to 2x250MH w/ 2xT5 in my 120g I noticed the biggest impact on the corals towards the bottom of the tank. They got a lot more PAR then what the T5s were able to push down that far.

I would start with four hours and increase it by 30 minutes each week until you get to where you want. I still have the staggered lighting schedule as you are planning to do but my MH are on for 9 hours each.

If Time > 08:30 Then LT1 ON

If Time > 22:00 Then LT1 OFF

If Time > 09:00 Then MH1 ON

If Time > 18:00 Then MH1 OFF

If Time > 12:00 Then MH2 ON

If Time > 21:00 Then MH2 OFF

There are supposed to be only three plugs on the 4' MH/T5/LED Reef Illuminations fixture: one runs the LED's, one for the T5's, and one for the MH's and the fans. I will be sure to have Aquacave correct their descriptions.

The best laid plans.... So it looks like the light is not as flexible as I had hoped. Oh well i am sure it will be good.

Ron