CO2 for Calcium Reactor HELP!

pco1988

Okay, I am not new to the hobby. But I am new with the use of the calcium reactor, I had someone help me before but he didn't teach me.

The CO2 part confuses me. First can someone enlighten me how the regulator works and what the use of the soleniod is? Knowing how it works would help me greatly!

I have my 20lbs CO2 tank completely filled and regulator installed. I crack the tank open slowly and get the first gauge to read the tanks psi. I then start screwing the center thing (I don't know what its called, and I believe its what puts pressure into the line). I then crack open the bubble counter and a rush of CO2 rushes into the line but then slowly comes to a stop. The line pressure doesnt change but the flow completely stops! I can screw the center thing (once again I don't know what its call) all the way until it purges the system with still nothing coming through the lines.

This was working perfectly before (before I had to get a refill). Please someone help and enlighten me!

Thank you in advance to all that can help!

We can answer your question... but you have to answer some first. :)

What controls the CO2? Do you have a pH probe in your CA reactor connected to an AC-III, and the solenoid on your CO2 tank plugged into a DC8 outlet connected to that AC-III?

Another option is that you were running it without a control - but I doubt it, if you weren't 'taught' how to manage it, because you would have had to adjust the bubble counter frequently for that setup.

bob

The center knob or dial on a regulator typically is simply another control that opens up the regulator valve to allow gas out. You'll have one on the CO2 tank that opens and closes the valve and then another on the regulator that does the same. The solenoid is then yet another valve, but this is an electronic valve. A solenoid for a calcium reactor will open the valve when it's supplied with power and close it when power is cut. There is then usually a 4th valve that leads out of the solenoid, a needle valve, which provides for precision control of how much CO2 is released. In your system if you have the solenoid then you've probably also got it hooked up to a controller of some sort which powers the solenoid on and off based on the pH reading. If you don't have a controller, then the solenoid needs to stay plugged in for the CO2 to run. In any case, I would adjust the main valve to be pretty much open, then adjust the regulator valve down a bit, then adjust the needle valve to allow for a slow stream of bubbles, all while the solenoid is powered to be open. Then hook it up to controller and allow the controller to open and shut the solenoid to control the actual pH. Basically, you've got a series of 4 valves, 3 of which are manual control with the ability to adjust the flow of CO2, one which is electrically controlled that is simply open or shut.

The CO2 part confuses me. First can someone enlighten me how the regulator works and what the use of the soleniod is? Knowing how it works would help me greatly!

The regulator takes the high pressure from the tank and lowers it down to a more workable pressure. Right now my CO2 tank has a two gauge regulator on it. Last night it read 800psi on the tank and the low side gauge read 17psi.

The solenoid is an electromechanical valve that allows you to control the flow of the CO2 if you use a controller. It also shuts the CO2 off in the event you have a power outage. The last thing you want when pumps and lights are off is to be pushing CO2 into the tank.

I have my 20lbs CO2 tank completely filled and regulator installed. I crack the tank open slowly and get the first gauge to read the tanks psi. I then start screwing the center thing (I don't know what its called, and I believe its what puts pressure into the line). I then crack open the bubble counter and a rush of CO2 rushes into the line but then slowly comes to a stop. The line pressure doesnt change but the flow completely stops! I can screw the center thing (once again I don't know what its call) all the way until it purges the system with still nothing coming through the lines.

It sounds like the solenoid is stuck. Try unplugging and plugging it in a few times to cycle it. It also helps to apply the Fonzie Tap with a metal object like a wrench.

Edited by Coral Hind

Thanks guys, I will go and work on it to see if I can fix this.

My Setup is simply a pH probe in the calcium reactor connected to a Tunze pH Controller, with the tank in the back room and soleniod simply connected into a power outlet. I really want a controller but I don't have the funds to do that and it was never brought up when I was setting up the tank.

Thanks guys, I will go and work on it to see if I can fix this.

My Setup is simply a pH probe in the calcium reactor connected to a Tunze pH Controller, with the tank in the back room and soleniod simply connected into a power outlet. I really want a controller but I don't have the funds to do that and it was never brought up when I was setting up the tank.

You said it's on a Tunze pH controller but just plugged into a regular wall outlet? Or is the controller set to control the outlet based on the pH it reads?

You said it's on a Tunze pH controller but just plugged into a regular wall outlet? Or is the controller set to control the outlet based on the pH it reads?

Thats what Tunze calls it. All it does is read the probe and is powered by a 9v battery. Its nothing special and does not control anything.