White balance?

lanman

I would like to take some pictures of my corals under 14K MH light, that actually look the same colors as when I look at them. Do I just put a white foam plate underwater, and click the 'set white balance' button?

I want color!!

bob

Yes. I've also found just pointing at some sand, even if it's a little off-white works just as well. Less messy than sticking a plate in the water.

No sand in my frag tubs... :)

Okay - I WILL get this figured out. :)

Thanks!

bob

I didn't even think to set mine. I guess I'll have to try that next time I get the camera out.

Does yours say "white balance setting" or something like it Bob?

I wonder how to get mine to set it. I know I can adjust it to the left or the right (darkens or lightens it), but I haven't seen a setting that says "set the wb".

Of to google....

Some of the white balance pre-settings can work fairly well too. On my Nikons, IIRC, the "cloudy" settings does ok for reef photography. But if you shoot in auto mode you have to use auto color balance.

You could also shoot in raw and then post-process the color balance.

Jon

This is just a moderately inexpensive snapshot camera. My old one has an 'Aquarium' setting that does fairly well. The new one has several white balance settings - starting with AWB (auto white-balance). But the last one allows you to 'set' the white balance. I'm still messing around with it - sooner or later, I will be able to take pictures.

bob