Wo Wo Wo, My Tomato Clowns Have Eggs? What do I do?

bbyatv

Do I just sit back and watch them get eaten or try to do something?

This supprised me. I guess I have a mated pair.

Bruce

You will need to culture photo and rotifers to keep them alive for any longer than a few days. and it take some time to stalk up on the roties so if may be a project to think about trying in a few months once you have an adequate supply.

once they start laying eggs they will do it regularly. if you get some small pieces of tile and put them by thier site semi-vertical with the bottom side facing up they will soon lay them on there. they seeem to love them some reason. then you can just remove the tile the night they are due to hatch and put a new in the place. the old switch er roo.

fun project but time and space consuming. i had a batch last about 8 days. that was my max without ever doing the roties, i was just using phot and cycloplease to feed them. appearently not enough nutrition.

Congrats!

Attempting to Raising the fry is not as difficult as you might think, but you will need a good supply of rotifers to get you started. Also, you don't necessarily need to culture phytoplankton.

Check out my thread:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34389

If you have never tried before and you would like to, I recommend doing lots of reading as you will need to take a crash course in raising fry. I was in your situation, about a month ago. I still have 2 survivors from my first batch of eggs. They are finally looking like real clown fish!

Good luck, feel free to ask questions!

Travis,

You did not miss them. Don't you remeber Dodge pointed out something on the rock that he thought was an anemone.

Well, after taking a closer look, we figured out what they were.

Bruce

Nice Bruce..!! I was just there and we must have missed that.. Good luck with the new project..!!

The other question is what will you do with all those fish once you raise them. There's a pretty big market for oscellaris and percula clownfish, but I'm not sure that extends to tomatos.