Need some tank stand work

paul b

I need to replace 2 legs on my tank stand which I built 30 years ago. Here is one of the legs, it is made of Kindorf which is what we use in construction to build almost everything. It is 1 1/2" square and is heavy galvanized steel but even heavy galvanized steel is no match for 30 years of saltwater. This particular leg is near the skimmer and auto tank fill. It is also under where the skimmer fills the algae trough and where I siphon water from when I do water changes.

I will add a leg on both sides of that leg, a few inches away from it and bolt them in place.

THat is a galvanized plate under the rusted leg which is almost gone so I will also add two more galvanized plates under the new legs.

I am 61 years old so I am figuring the new support legs will stay here at least until I croak, after that, I don't care :rolleye1:

There is another leg almost as bad which I will do the same thing to. The stand itself is built out of the same stuff but twice as thick. It is 3" by 1 1/2" and is in much better shape.

I don't think I can even get the tank out if wanted to as I built the wall and finished the basement around it.

IMG_0204.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what the question is. I would recommend using a house jack to support the tank, cut out the leg and weld in a new one.

Take a look at this stuff:

http://www.8020.net/

It's aluminum (no rust), it can be threaded in the center, they sell all sorts of accessories (including adjustable feet), and you can get remnants dirt cheap on ebay.

I've seen some amazing tank stands build entirely from t-slot aluminum and acrylic sheets.

Edited by igozoom

(edited)

Brian, I am not asking a question, just making a statement.

I built the stand 30 years ago and will replace a couple of legs.

No need to weld as Kindorf is a structural material and is full of holes as is the rest of the stand.

I have access to the stuff because I used it almost every day as a construction electrician in Manhattan.

I will just bolt up a couple of new legs to the stand and leave the old legs in place.

They are in no danger of collapsing for a few more years and I can't get the tank out if I wanted to.

And at my age I am not going to re build a new basement around it ;)

Flowerseller, I was originally going to use my hydrallic jack to do just that and it is also an easy fix, If I did that I would coincide it with a water change when half the water is out of the tank.

I have not yet fully decided.

So it is what it is.

Have a great day

Edited by paul b

We could plan a trip up to help you.

We pick up Mega bus in DC and you pick us up at the Mega bus stop.

Oh wait, that won't work, by the time we rode the bus, we'd be 3 sheets to the wind and useless to you, except for a few laughs.

But really, maybe we can help you out.

Flowerseller, thats alright, I am coming to your meeting to speak in a few weeks, maybe I will bring the tank and stand with me and we could fix it there :biggrin:

Paul,

Time to tear the basement apart and upgrade to that 240g you've always wanted. Just think of all the bottles you'll have room for!

Good luck with the repairs,

Jon

The existing stand will probably last a very long time. It probably looks a lot worse than it is. We often go crazy overbuilding our stands.

That stand is probably still way stronger than the average pressboard stand, which is still overbuilt.

I saw one at Roozen's where a whole cinder block was completely gone one time.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

(edited)
That stand is probably still way stronger than the average pressboard stand, which is still overbuilt.

Yes, I am quite sure it is in no danger of collapsing anytime soon, but I have been putting it off for a few years and I seem to get busier every year. I have been retired for two years and these last two years I have busier than I have ever been.

Of course now much of the things I do, I want to do.

The stand will only take an hour or so to repair, I just need to get the Kindorf and remove all the junk under the tank.

That is the hard part.

Jon, You are correct, if I removed the tank I would need to re build the house and put in a 300 or so.

This tank was considered huge when I got it in 1977 :)

Edited by paul b