How tight should bulk heads be?

TonyInVa

+1 abd the gasket goes on the bulkhead flange side, not the nut side, regardless of whether it's the wet or dry side.

That said,

A dab of water around the both sides of the gasket seals it very well.

I'm guessing tight enough so they don't leak. :wig:

I normally hand tighten them, then do a 1/4 turn with a wrench. Just remember that anything past tight, is broke.

Drilled my tank today, to install glass holes overflow. Took your advice and drilled from the inside.

Awesome! I helped someone drill a tank yesterday. Let me know if you need anything or just want to stop over and talk tanks again.

Drilling inside to out helps to reduce the chances of a chip in the glass that might void the proper seal on the bulkhead.

Awesome! I helped someone drill a tank yesterday. Let me know if you need anything or just want to stop over and talk tanks again.

Drilling inside to out helps to reduce the chances of a chip in the glass that might void the proper seal on the bulkhead.

Funny thing. Some how I ended up with a chip on the inside. Out side turned out perfect. Something happened, because it was smooth and no chips when I was just about to break through.

When you drilled on the inside, I'm assuming it was the side against the ground? Can someone give me deails about doing it this way? I was thinking about trying it with my 75, but didn't know of anyone who had done it before.

When you drilled on the inside, I'm assuming it was the side against the ground? Can someone give me deails about doing it this way? I was thinking about trying it with my 75, but didn't know of anyone who had done it before.

I drilled the back pane of glass. But rather than drilling from outside of the tank to the indside, i started on the inside and ended up on the outside.