Getting back into the hobby...

KABALA

Ive been away for a few years now, but the bug has got me again. Currently have a 45 gallon hex tank that was a give away but im looking to expand to a 4-6' tank and had sold everything. Just curious what the current uses are for a few things since ive been out of the hobby.

What is everyone using for sand now since if I remember correctly, the stuff from Home Depot which I cannot remember the name was either phased out or no longer made?

Has the "for sale" section on RC been taken off?

Anyone making skimmers in the area or still mail order the way to go. My last came from GeoSkimmer on RC, and I havent gotten any replies from George on CMAS to inquire about his endeavors.

Also looking for any small softy frags and refuge items as I will be setting one up ASAP to wipe out my hair and red algae blooms.

Thanks for the read and I hope to see old friends at the next meets.

Kabala

Not sure if you were looking for a tank but my inlaws may have a 75 (with sand and maybe some rock) and a 40g up for sale soon if your looking for a bigger tank just let me know, if not

Welcome back,

the for sale forum is for paid members only, believe me its worth the money.

just post up any help you need as you already have done

For sand, currently i use none, many of the stores care base sand and live sand, also many members sell livesand from tank break downs etc ( i know F&F has some good deals on base sand as well as several other sponsor stores.)

good luck with the rest and hope to see you around

Howdy Mike :)

How is your son doing? You know I still have that stand I built for you years ago, it has served as a fantastic router table. I use it almost every day, so you can't have it now...lol

Dan

the for sale forum is for paid members only, believe me its worth the money.

I lied (completely missed the RC part and thought you meant on here) its near the bottom once you sign in to your account under Used Equip or Propigate coral

you just have to be signed in, which i think is a recent requirement

Thanks everyone for the greet.

SOUTHDOWN was the name of the sand I couldnt remember. duh

DAN, He is doing really good, hes 5 now and you would never know he has a half of a heart. Thanks for the offer but I got a PM you make skimmers now? Do you have a site to check out what you have? Whats the latest and greatest trend in skimmers? Im still kinda partial to my old beckett i regret I got rid of.

Im sure once I get my membership paid for here Ill check out the FS section but I'll be on the lookout for essential items in the time being.

Thanks again,

Mike

Ive been away for a few years now, but the bug has got me again. Currently have a 45 gallon hex tank that was a give away but im looking to expand to a 4-6' tank and had sold everything. Just curious what the current uses are for a few things since ive been out of the hobby.

What is everyone using for sand now since if I remember correctly, the stuff from Home Depot which I cannot remember the name was either phased out or no longer made?

Has the "for sale" section on RC been taken off?

Anyone making skimmers in the area or still mail order the way to go. My last came from GeoSkimmer on RC, and I havent gotten any replies from George on CMAS to inquire about his endeavors.

Also looking for any small softy frags and refuge items as I will be setting one up ASAP to wipe out my hair and red algae blooms.

Thanks for the read and I hope to see old friends at the next meets.

Kabala

Welcome back, Mike! Glad to see you posted up.

The stuff from HD was Southdown sand which was a sugar-grained aragonite. It's not been available at hardware stores for a number of years now. A lot of people just use stuff that they can get at their LFS or online. Sometimes you can get stuff from another breakdown as well.

The for sale section of RC is still there. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 The for sale forum here is members only. Consider joining again!

I've not seen many skimmer builds here. There are, of course, a number of people posting about skimmer builds on RC. If you want to check out some new skimmer technology, one of our own vendor-members, dandy7200 has restarted his Grey Seas Aquatics line. http://www.greyseasaquatics.com/main.sc Look under "GSA Built" on the left hand side of the page. (I just noticed that Dan has also posted a DIY kit for a media reactor. Cool!)

A number of members will be able to help you out with macroalgae, I'm sure. I've got chaeto and dragon's breath if you're interested. I don't have many softies, but if you're interested in some green striped mushrooms, I've got too many proliferating in my small 29g Biocube.

Kabala-I've got a 5g bucket 2/3full off small crushed agragonite (larger then sand though) you're welcome to - save at least alittle.

Tom- I've got a blue/green chromatope bc29 and love green striped discosoma- pmd you about selling a few.