pin-wheel skimmer pump

bcjm

I have an Euro-Reef CS8-3 skimmer body. It is 8" ID and 30" tall. I would like to try a pin-wheel skimmer pump to replace the original one. It should be very easy to direct the water from the pump into the skimmer body. Can anyone think any reason why it wouldn't work?

There are so many selections now, Eheim, Sicce, OPT 2000 etc.

Can someone suggest a pin-wheel pump that has good performance, reasonable priced, good impeller replacement availability etc..

BTW, I can't believe the impeller for Eheim 1262 costs $100.

Edited by bcjm

I don't see any issues. The Sedra 5000 may be a good choice.

Sedra 5000 is the original pump. I am thinking may be other pumps have more kick.

I would think a Sicce would be a good match. It would move less water than the Sedra, but pull much more air. dandy7200 from GSA sells them locally for a good price.

You could try a bigger SEDRA pump (9000?).

Also, why pin wheel? Mesh seems much better. Here is my experience: LINK

I think mesh itself may not be as durable and not everyone is as handy as others. :)

I have an Euro-Reef CS8-3 skimmer body. It is 8" ID and 30" tall. I would like to try a pin-wheel skimmer pump to replace the original one. It should be very easy to direct the water from the pump into the skimmer body. Can anyone think any reason why it wouldn't work?

There are so many selections now, Eheim, Sicce, OPT 2000 etc.

Can someone suggest a pin-wheel pump that has good performance, reasonable priced, good impeller replacement availability etc..

BTW, I can't believe the impeller for Eheim 1262 costs $100.

Eheims new pricing sucks, they have pretty much eliminated themselves from the US market unless the exchange rates drastically change any time soon. The OR2700 is a good pump, the 8" body of the 8-3 could handle the OR3700 though. Ocean runners are a tad loud but they are a reliable pump.

I have seen good results from the Sicce pump and use the ATB large purple pinwheel. Usually $30 I think for the pinwheel. Warner Marine has one too called the Red Devil. I have tried the mesh mods but can get annoying when the mesh fails or tears or something.

I think mesh itself may not be as durable and not everyone is as handy as others. :)

As you can see from the thread I linked, my pinwheel wasn't very durable.

I never had to change the mesh the entire time I had the pump (I even opened it up once after a very long time to clean it, but just closed it back up because there was nothing to clean). I think stories of it failing are from improper installation or maybe the wrong mesh. Just my $.02.