What overflow for a 110?

TonyInVa

I will be drilling my new 110. I assume 700 gph is not enough for a 110. So should I go with 1500 gph. Is there better overflows then Glass Holes?

I only have about 650gph for my 120. The more flow in the overflows the more noise. I use an MP40W and a Nanostream for in tank flow.

Edited by Coral Hind

Why not just drill an overflow big enough that will support a 2" pipe? It'll be plenty.

Would you suggest using an overflow box, with the 2 inch hole?

You could use an overflow box in the corner or one on the back wall. I use 2) 1" bulkeads on the back wall of my 40 and there is very little noise. I imagine you could do 2" holes on the opposite upper corners and a seperate one for the return although the return only needs to be an inch. The back wall type of drain saves lots of room inside your tank whereas the back or corner overflow boxes take up more.

I have not used them, but have heard nothing but great things about glassholes.com. Very low profile overflow and accommodates plenty of flow if you want it. I would have used one of their kits if I had known about them when I set up my overflow.

Food for thought:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/SystemPIX/Plumb.../Oneinchart.htm

They are nice, see if Bob (rocko) has pics of his, looks really clean and uses minimal space...