Zoas Disappearing?

Ryan S

Sorry to hear that you have these Ryan. Please try a fresh RO/DI water dip or a fresh RO/DI water dip with lugols before anything else. Zoas can handle fresh water dips.

it's official. i have these spiders. lights were out, shined a flashlight in the tank, and saw several of them, some on the zoas, some on other things in the tank. now how do i get rid of them???

Okay, I knew I read FW dips for these lil buggers somewhere. Here ya go....

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f142/r2r-c...iders-7861.html

Thanks Jan. Freshwater dipping it shall be. is 10 minutes an ok time to fw dip zoas?

I am also going to buy a wrasse and see if that helps too. Man I hate spiders, and these guys look really nasty. I also saw a thousand bristle worms at night time too, including a really big one, probably 1/2" wide and 6" long. I need to get him out too. Yuck!

Either way - this is good news. I am very thankful for you Jan! I had a dozen different types of zoas, and now I am down to 3 or 4 probably; and I was ready to give up on zoas entirely. Hopefully I can beat these spiders down and get my zoas going again!!!

I don't know that a wrasse eats them. I'll look for more information. I wouldn't leave them in FW for 10 mins. Try 5 mins. Dip, stirr, squirt/flush vigorously using a turkey baster to blow them off. Try using a white bowl or pail so you can see what falls off. Lugols in the FW wont hurt the zoas. Use tongs or gloves when handling the zoas. They'll get irritated and release their toxins.

Oops, just read the RC thread 3-15 mins suggested FW dip. also using sodium chloride and lugols. Adjust PH to match your system. According to the thread it will take a couple of months. Baby spiders seen up 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jan. Freshwater dipping it shall be. is 10 minutes an ok time to fw dip zoas?

I am also going to buy a wrasse and see if that helps too. Man I hate spiders, and these guys look really nasty. I also saw a thousand bristle worms at night time too, including a really big one, probably 1/2" wide and 6" long. I need to get him out too. Yuck!

Either way - this is good news. I am very thankful for you Jan! I had a dozen different types of zoas, and now I am down to 3 or 4 probably; and I was ready to give up on zoas entirely. Hopefully I can beat these spiders down and get my zoas going again!!!

Edited by Jan

Do they look like the dangerous ones?

:excl: Absolutely. I have the same in my 50G tank and they secrete a very powerful neurotoxin, something I didn't know when I purchased it four years ago. They're dreadfully difficult to get rid of without tossing the rock. Be extremely careful when you work with or around them. Wear protective gloves that fit up to your shoulders and protective goggles if you try to remove them from rocks. In the oceans where they grow the natives collect their neurotoxin to produce weapons. So, be very careful! :excl:

IMHO.

Mark

:excl: Absolutely. I have the same in my 50G tank and they secrete a very powerful neurotoxin, something I didn't know when I purchased it four years ago. They're dreadfully difficult to get rid of without tossing the rock. Be extremely careful when you work with or around them. Wear protective gloves that fit up to your shoulders and protective goggles if you try to remove them from rocks. In the oceans where they grow the natives collect their neurotoxin to produce weapons. So, be very careful! :excl:

IMHO.

Mark

That is why it is recommended to treat with interceptor, since there is no way to get all the spiders that are crawling around the rocks.

Glad to see you found out what is going on with your zoa's.

Ryan,

Is there a way that you can take all the zoas out of your tank and treat them in another tank until you can rid your system of the spiders?

I don't know that a wrasse eats them. I'll look for more information. I wouldn't leave them in FW for 10 mins. Try 5 mins. Dip, stirr, squirt/flush vigorously using a turkey baster to blow them off. Try using a white bowl or pail so you can see what falls off. Lugols in the FW wont hurt the zoas. Use tongs or gloves when handling the zoas. They'll get irritated and release their toxins.

Oops, just read the RC thread 3-15 mins suggested FW dip. also using sodium chloride and lugols. Adjust PH to match your system. According to the thread it will take a couple of months. Baby spiders seen up 3 weeks later...

Ryan,

Is there a way that you can take all the zoas out of your tank and treat them in another tank until you can rid your system of the spiders?

we have the 38g fowlr w/ T5 lights. i could keep them in there, while FW dipping everyday? truth be told, only have a few zoas left; not sure its worth the hassle of FW dipping everyday. once their gone I hope the spiders will starve to death and then I can rebuild my zoa collection again.