v.. worms

guppychao

dont know the spelling, however i think it strts with a v, they are the once that form a hard spirally shell and have web like feaures on how they gather food.

does any fish eat those? i have tons of them. copperband maybe?

Vermetid snails.

dont know the spelling, however i think it strts with a v, they are the once that form a hard spirally shell and have web like feaures on how they gather food.

does any fish eat those? i have tons of them. copperband maybe?

Where does one find 'zebra' hermits?

bob

The last batch I picked up was from Atlantis in Richmond. I believe I've seen them in F&F or BRK though. I'm sure any LFS could order them if they aren't keeping them in stock. They come under different names like zebra hermits, dwarf zebras, hawaiian zebras, etc.

Or you can find them online. Although it's a bit difficult finding a site that has them in stock.

Edited by Stephen

I imagine that the same ones that eat corals would eat the vermetid snails... parrot fish, triggers, perhaps some wrasses, etc.

Don't forget that these guys have very hard shells that they form around themselves so it would be hard for most reef safe fish to bite through. I'm suprised that a hermit that is "reef-safe" would eat them.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/MolluscPIX/Gast...ubesnailidf.htm

Be careful. Vermetid snail shell is as sharp as a shard of glass. I cut my fingers lifting a rock that was covered with them. I looked them up and found that scraping them off is one of the ways to get rid of them. Luckily the rock had not been in my display yet so I was able to dip it in fresh water and scrape as many snails off as I could with a metal spatula. They multiply fast.

good to know, any fish eat them?
Edited by Jan

They love one of my frag tanks. They grow on the plastic racks. I have been scraping them off with a knife - and the numbers seem to be dropping. They really really annoy some corals.

bob