has anyone tried this

Aquariareview

lg-32875-42452-fish-filter.jpg

I am putting a 40 gal reef tank bedside and this has been recommend to me.

EcoSystem Pro Series Hang on with CPR skimmer

• Has anyone here used one?
  • Does anyone here know anyone that has used one?
  • If so how well did it work?

they are not a lot of money ($400) but I don't want another piece of useless aquaria junk in storage.

Does the water go through the skimmer before or after it goes through the refugium?

before. Many of us run the same type of thing without the skimmer. I dont know about the skimmer but CPR fuges are good quality.

I would consider a HOB Refugium and a HOB high end skimmer like a deltec... but this is probably would work depending on what you are keeping.

I had a skimmer that used those collection cups when i first started, often had overflow issues where skimmate would drip outside the tnak and smell the whole room up, not to mention needing to replace the orings often, wasnt a big fan, in fact i prefered the coralive 125 over it.

looks pretty cool though, if you painted the back of the tank and blocked the light you could even run opposing light schedules

$400 is too much $$ for what you are getting there.

If you have the space you can put a sump under your tank inside the stand, you can add a skimmer to it and you can have a section for a refugium. Lighting a refugium doesn't require expensive lighting.

As Der ABT mentioned, it is a pretty crappy skimmer.

I can see the appeal of not having to drill your tank or use an overflow box, but if you haven't setup your main tank yet I would drill it, use a smaller tank as sump and get a decent skimmer.

I can't have a sump below because of the placement. I could build the refuge without much stress and and buy a good HOB Skimmer.

I have almost always have had big systems so I don't know a lot about small skimmers. What is the best HOB skimmer Cost no object.

I was thinking more about the need for a skimmer to be before rather than after the fuge part, but should add that the CPR skimmer on my clown tank isn't that great. I used to have an airstone - driven counter current skimmer that worked almost as well as my CPR skimmer.

What is the best HOB skimmer Cost no object.

I have a deltek MCE600 and love it. Kicks butt over the remora and backpack. Cost just under $300 used. there were a few on reefcentral for under $275 last month. Also, you could use the MCE300 too, which is cheaper...

Edited by epleeds

I would agree with epleeds. I too had an MCE600 and it worked wonderfully even on a 90g. Also had a CPR large 'fuge HOB and I liked both very much. I got my 'fuge on eBay - secondhand blemished version. Looked just like new to me and worked just as well, but much cheaper. The MCE will set you back some coin, but it is a long-lasting commodity and holds its value well over time.

Merry Christmas everybody.

I just bought a deltec and I am building a hob fuge I will post pics when its finished. refuge will hang on back and it's top is 2 inch above the water level of the main tank. small powerhead pumps it into bottom of one end of refuge, water flows 20 in across and then a small overflow drains it back into main tank.

I built one 12 years ago and it was not that hard.

my plan is 20 in long, 13 in deep and 5 in wide. LED lighting. some mud and sand mixed in fuge with some good macro algae.

bought scrap plastic sheet (1/4 inch thick) today for $20 will start next month.