Funds for my Sceince Fair..

mosheikh

Hi, Im taking biology 1 honors and they said that I have to do a mandatory sceince fair project.  I gave a list to my teacher of things i would do..and she said no..so I told her, can I put different coral frags in seperate tanks with different lightings and nutreints in each tank. So to make this project possible, I would appreciate if anybody can donate me anything to help get this project started...

Thanks a bunch!

Guest bill33
not to be a d*** but... you wont have enough time for all of this. the frags will barly grow in 2-3 weeks.

Guest Houshan
Woah Bill ... watch the language.  I think some people are gonna be offended.   Might wanna edit your post :)

Guest bill33
im calm i was just saying you wont have enough time and you are asking way to much from people

Guest cjm033

"I told her, can I put different coral frags in seperate tanks with different LIGHTINGS AND NUTRIENTS in each tank"

this^^^ is where i see a problem. youd have pick one of the other, nutrients or lighting. those are 2 totally different variables that both have big this to do with it. if i were you id do different lighting.make sure you do everything EXACTLY THE SAME in both taks except for the lighting. so if u dose in one tank dose the same in the other, if you do a w/c in one tank do the exact same amount with the other at the same params matching in the water and so on. make sure you fully think everything through with this project, and start asap. only thing i think that would backfire is  that the effects of nutrients in a tank and of different types and amounts of lighting have already been proven and stuff.

-Chris

ok...im going to start this friday..so ok, ill do the different types of lighting on zoos, and someother frag in each tank...i may just buy the tanks and light..but may just need some frags of zoos and other easy to handle frag...and a filter..Thanks for your help

Guest cjm033

ill check in my room if i can find a heater, i think i may have a spare or 2. if you have any questions or nee dany help just im me on chrisisthereefer.

-Chris

Guest va_reefman

Here are some questions:

How many tanks and lighting are you planning on buying for this project?  

Do you know how much does it cost for all this "just" for this one project?

What kind of time do you have for this project?  Corals don't start to grow right away when you put them in the tank.  They take time to acclimate to water/lighting/current and all that good stuff before they even moving.  You WILL run out of time before you will be able to document anything for your project.

Idea:

====

Why don't you setup 3-4 10g plastic rubbermaid tubs in a row and light them with the same 48" twin bulbs shoplight.  In each of the tub, grow different macro algea and observe/monitor the growth rate and their behavior.  It will be much cheaper and you can see the results fast...time is what you don't have so stay away from corals.  You can even go further by puting more rocks/sand in some of the tub and observe the life that comes from the tub.  Be creative and don't burn all your money.  Save it to buy corals for your real reef. :)

HTH,

John

That's a great suggestion John- nutrient affects on algal growth is actually a far more important study than coral growth response to lighting (which has been beaten to death for the most part) when it comes to what's happening on the reefs.  Runoff from agriculture being one facet to it that has a huge impact on algae overgrowing reefs.  Cruise ship dumping another..

For a lighting study, I would like to hear something novel proposed to make it worthwhile (will take some actual research into both the scientific and hobby literature to get the answer- which for a science fair project should be done).  Lighting intensity, color, etc as it affects growth rate just isn't that informative to be honest.

Guest va_reefman

Thanks Mike.  I thought it would be easier and more economical for him to do the project without folking out a lot of money.  After all, he is still in school so funding is somewhat limitted.

Lighting is a whole other ball game though.  Even with the same lighting spec, we(me and some others around here) still see a different in coloration from the same coral we shared.  There are just too many variables affecting the study.

John

Something I'd be interested in would be the ability of macroalgae to use nitrate vs ammonia as a nitrogen source.  In FW plants it varies between species, and I have no idea whether people have looked at nitrogen utilization in the commonly kept macros like gracilaria, caulerpa, ulva or chaetomorpha.

• 3 years later...

Man. I am in the exact same situation. Hon Biology 1, Mandatory Science Project,

and I was even thinking about the same project. It just seems like its going to run

me a fortune to do an experiment I don't even want to have to do. My hat is off to

you for doing this experiment. I'm too cheap. :biggrin:

Have you considered doing it with macroalgae instead of coral? It grows a lot faster so you could actually have some decent growth in 2-3 weeks. I have some dragon's tongue I can visually see the growth from day to day. I can give you some it you want. Of there are lots of people who could likely give you some fast growing cheato or caulerpa.

You could get some 10g tanks pretty cheap and some different lights. Or just get one long (48" or 36") light and lay it across all the tanks lined up side by side. That way they're all getting the exact same light. Buy a bottle of seachem flourish and dose each tank different amounts. You could put a small powerhead in each tank or even easier just get one air pump and run some tubbing into each tank. That would be enough water movement for macros. I bet if you asked here you could find members willing to lend you the tanks, lights, and such. So all you'd have to buy is a bottle of flourish.

The experiment could be really easy. Get the tanks set up. Get some macro. Borrow a scale. Blot dry the macro and weight the same size portion for each tank. Dose some different levels of flourish in each tank. Repeat doses once or twice a week. At the end take out the macro, dry it off, weight it, and see the difference in growth.

Apologies to everyone, when I moved this forum I reset it to show all threads... this one is from 2004... but, rest assured, there will be some new threads coming soon! Cedar Lane is alive and kicking and I have begun the process of moving tanks back into Floris. Expect to see at least 5, if not 8 tanks at Floris this year, with one possible experimental tank as well.