Where to locally purchase live rock

MMfish

I know the internet and airport provide live rock but is there any LFS where one could buy quality live rock? Most stores have rubber maid tubs with gurgling water and no other lighting or filtration for their rock. Any experience with finding quality live rock?

From personal experience I've gotten live rock from Blue Ribbon Koi, The Marine Scene, and The cozy clownfish (now aquatic obsessions). I'm picky about what my rock looks like and it would be nice if they were colored up but most are not under lights. I got my pieces with coraline from the cozy clownfish when they used to keep them under PCs with other stuff, now they still have some but not as much, however they are still under lights and you might get a nice hitchhiker because they're in the intervert tanks.

John at BRK has a very nice selection of different types of rock. I always liked buying mine from tank breakdowns because it is cheaper........but you run the risk of getting a bad hitchhiker. Just ask Lanman about the rock he got from my breakdown........how are those palys doing Bob??? :biggrin:

I just bought 200 lbs of live rock at Pacific East Aqauculture. It was well worth the 2 hour drive. It is really nice stuff. Mostly dead tabling acro skeletons. Big flat pieces that make a great open aquascape. It is also very fresh stuff with little die-off. The rock I bought had been in thier holding tanks about 5 days. I put it in my tank and 48 hours later 0 ammonia and 0 nitrates.

Of course I also used MB7. An amazing product I am sure helped.

I would buy a variety of shapes so you have options when you do your scaping.

Also try to get the largest pieces that feel the lightest, you want pourous pieces with a lot of nooks and cranies.

Roozens got a load of about 40 boxes on really nice stuff from fili in last week 5.99 / lb. More than i would normally spend on LR but this stuff is really nice do I got a few pieces.

I would buy a variety of shapes so you have options when you do your scaping.

Also try to get the largest pieces that feel the lightest, you want pourous pieces with a lot of nooks and cranies.

Roozens got a load of about 40 boxes on really nice stuff from fili in last week 5.99 / lb. More than i would normally spend on LR but this stuff is really nice do I got a few pieces.

Marine Scene does keep some under lights.