Not so Happy with Reef Crystals

sen5241b

Man, If you've got time to blow bubbles in a water with a straw, you aint got enough to do there bro.

Come on and see me at the flower shop, we have about all we can handle.

I finally sat down to grab lunch at 4:00 and when I did, I kept looking around for the seat belt but then realized I was sitting in my office chair.

Man, If you've got time to blow bubbles in a water with a straw, you aint got enough to do there bro.

Come on and see me at the flower shop, we have about all we can handle.

I finally sat down to grab lunch at 4:00 and when I did, I kept looking around for the seat belt but then realized I was sitting in my office chair.

LOL. No straws. Just straightforward agitation. After six months on a proposal, the office life has slowed. That's rare.

Now go home and have some of that smoooooth scotch of yours.

Dave, fresh water is not buffered and the pH can shift wildly with simple exposure to household air or even blowing bubbles into it through a straw. You really can't use the pH of fresh water to determine the pH of your final salt water which is heavily buffered.

Take a look here: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.php#8

From it:

1. The pH of totally pure water is around 7 (with the exact value depending on temperature). As carbon dioxide ...

3. The pH of the combination of two solutions does not necessarily reflect the average (not even a weighted average) of their two pH values. The final pH of a mixture may actually not even be between the pH

Loudoun County flushes their pipes at least once a year, too. At least one can plan for that.

Have you looked into why you have low pH? Trying to correct for pH by adding alkalinity won't, over the long haul, address the problem - it's more like addressing the symptom.

Low pH: Causes and Cures

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinty, Magnesium and pH

Loudoun County flushes their pipes at least once a year, too. At least one can plan for that.

Have you looked into why you have low pH? Trying to correct for pH by adding alkalinity won't, over the long haul, address the problem - it's more like addressing the symptom.

Low pH: Causes and Cures

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinty, Magnesium and pH

The low Ph happens rarely. The low alk is chronic. I have a huge amount of coralline and it sucks carbonates out of the water.