RO/DI Filters

Guest mikesroth

Guest mikesroth

Ok time for another question. :)

I know that when you first use a RO/DI unit that you should throw away the first 5 gallons or so.  Do you do that every time you use it?  For instance, I did it to the one I just bought, but I knew that it had been sitting for a bit.  Since I just used it, do I need to toss the water again?  Is losing the first say gallon good enough? :)  Takes  a while for it to fill up my 5 gallon bucket, so I'd rather not waste the water if I dont have to.

Thanks,

Michael

Mike,

IMHO, weeks are no problem, months, maybe a few minutes worth wouldn't hurt, but either, depending on how much your doing at a time. The dilution levels should be extremely low.

I have a conductivity meter that I got from Andrey that is Pharmaceutical Grade should let you know what is what.

Let me know if you would like to use it?

Howard

Guest mikesroth

Ok, I just wanted to make sure since it takes a bit over an hour to fill my 5 gallon bucket.  Personally, I think there should be some portion of this hobby that we are allowed to rush.  Everything takes a while..  :D

Thank you for the offer of the TDS meter, I swear I am going to break down and get one soon.  hehe

Reefgeek has a nice inline TDS filter that measures before and after the water filter.  Last check it was $30.  Anyway, I think the initial wait time is mostly due to chemicals on the filters.  Any other time after than I would say just let it run for a few minutes since supposedly the first amount of water isn't as pure as what you will get a few minutes later.  Having said that, I run mine into a trash can and have never tossed the first few gallons when it is making new water.  

Call me lazy... but I haven't noticed anything adverse to not tossing the first few gallons.  I do use about 20 gallons on average per week, so my filter is working off and on.  I also back flush it frequently, which I think helps in the grand scheme of things.

Guest mikesroth
Back Flush?  Is this different than the waste water running off?

Guest HVF21221
Yes, it is different. Back flush refers to reversing your tubing to push water the incorrect direction through your RO membrane. This back flushing is all waste water but it prolongs the life of your membrane. After back flushing put things back the right way and run a while to waste water. After that your good to go. Howard

Guest mikesroth
Hmmm, still not sure I understand.  I have 3 hoses, 1 for intake, 1 for the waste water, and 1 coming out of the DI filter that I keep the water from.  Do I reverse the Intake with waste, or Intake with DI?

Guest Houshan

The unit that you have (Typhoon I) doesn't have the back flush option.  You can add that option on by purchasing it from www.airwaterice.com for $30 or any other place.

I heard that removing the flow restrictor (the inline module about 3" - 4" long on the waste water side on top of the unit) temporarily, run some water through the unit, then re-attach the flow restrictor is similar if not the same as back flushing.

I have this option on my unit but never use it.  Heard both sides - some say it's good, some say it' doesn't really affect it that much and that it's a waste of money.  So, I don't really know.

Let me know if you have more questions.

- Jose

EDIT:  Just did some research and it seems I was correct.  All the flush kit does is bypass the flow restrictor so that all the water washes over the membrane.  So, you can save some money by doing it manually and it's not really inconvenient.  Just cut a hose that's long enough for the connection to replace where the flow restrictor normally goes.

• 2 weeks later...
Most systems come with a autoflush valve. All you do is open the valve and allow the water to wash over the membrane as oppose to running through it.