Looking for bulb advice

Neal

Hey Guys,

About 2 years ago I moved into a new house and the Mrs. required that I get a new tank. I settled on the Current Solana with a 150W MH (The Hair Dryer Light.) Since I mainly keep SPS I quickly moved up to an IceCap 250 DE MH with an electronic ballast. The setup came with am IceCap 10K bulb.

On my old setup I had T5 actinics to supplement my MH. With the new IceCap the Mrs. has asked that I keep a clean looking tank since it is in our living room.

Problem: Under the 10K bulb my corals look brown. When I add any type of actinic the corals magically pop with types of blues / greens / purples / oranges. Is there any way to make this happen with just a bulb change? Has anyone made the change and seen a drastic color difference? If so what type of bulb were you using?

I am thinking about one of the following:

Phoenix 14K

XM 20K

Ushio 20K

Thanks for the advice

Phoenix 14K's have great color. If high nutrients are the cause of your corals browning, however, it won't cure that problem.

I am running the 14k Icecap paired with an Icecap ballast...I love the color...you can check out my album to see the pics (taken without flash)...

I've heard of some bulbs changing tint if they are not run on a matching ballast...but I have no personal experience with it.

Most of our vendors run 20k, so that'll give you a good idea of the color too...

All 14ks are not created equal. I personally would go with the phoenix 14K. It's the best 14k I've found (color wise). But again, that is just my opinion. You're best bet is to find tanks running some of these different bulbs and see which one YOU like the best.

The blue color spectrum will make the fluorescent colors in your corals pop, that's what you're seeing when the tank is under Actinics only, or when you have strong supplementation. Many people like the Phoenix 14k, and many like the Radium 20k. You can go with either (I think the Radium comes in DE?). Try to take a trip and look at people's tanks that are running the bulb you're thinking about so you can pick the right spectrum for your taste.

(I think the Radium comes in DE?).

It's rather limiting, but Radiums only come in 150W for double-ended lamps. They come in 150W, 250W, 400W and 1000W in SE packages.