I need lighting opinions!

TonyInVa

I will be upgrading to a 110 in the very near future. Tank will be here next week. But will be spending the next couple of months getting things ready. One issue will be lighting. I currently have a T5 6 bulb fixture. Not sure if I sould build my own fixture using my existing T5 with 2 metal halides or purchasing a new fixture. My guess is that building one using my T5s will be cheaper. What do you think?

if your doing the 110, that is 30" tall, I am not sure how good the T5 is to reach the bottom. I have always run 21" tanks which are no problem. Usually the guys running the real deep tanks are running MH pendants. with T5 for supplement.

If you are happy with lower light demanding corals such as shrooms and softies, your existing light set-up will be fine. If you are wanting to keep SPS, then you'll need to have at least 2) 250w mh's with some T5's for actinic.

If you are happy with lower light demanding corals such as shrooms and softies, your existing light set-up will be fine. If you are wanting to keep SPS, then you'll need to have at least 2) 250w mh's with some T5's for actinic.

+1 on what zygote said. I am running (3) 250 W. MH and (8) 39 w T-5's in the 265 gal.. You will need (IMO) MH if you want to keep SPS's. Unless you put the SPS's at the very top.

Edited by lhcorals

I will want some SPS. So my next question is should I use the T5s I have and buy some MHs and put them in a canopy or buy a new fixture with everything included?

once again, it depends on you. Do you have the experience to build your own, or do you like the look of pre-built? If it were me, I'd do 2) 400's with lumenarc reflectors and 2) 110w VHO actinics with 3) fans- one between the halides, and one on each end of the fixture, all blowing out.

Definately go with Halides and supplement. You can get away with 250w halides but will have to keep SPS up higher on the rock. If you can do it, go with the 400w. Fixtures are nice, but a canopy gives you more options.........plus, it allows you to have fish that are normally jumpers.

once again, it depends on you. Do you have the experience to build your own, or do you like the look of pre-built? If it were me, I'd do 2) 400's with lumenarc reflectors and 2) 110w VHO actinics with 3) fans- one between the halides, and one on each end of the fixture, all blowing out.

I have never built my own lighting, but am generaly handy with tools and come up with good ideas. nI am sure that with this group I can pull it off.

To be honest I don't know much about metal halides. Seems to be alot of options and I don't know the differance between them all. The wattage I understand. But don't know the differance between single double ended and then there is the mogul base.

Very interesting. I thought it was possible to keep most sps under T5's ?? Aren't there a lot of members keeping really nice sps tanks with T5's?

Laura

To be honest I don't know much about metal halides. Seems to be alot of options and I don't know the differance between them all. The wattage I understand. But don't know the differance between single double ended and then there is the mogul base.

Very interesting. I thought it was possible to keep most sps under T5's ?? Aren't there a lot of members keeping really nice sps tanks with T5's?

Laura

I have some high up on the rocks with my T5 fixture. It produces 324 watts. But going to 110 gallons I assume it wont be enough. Especialy being a tall tank.