Phosban Reactor question?

TonyInVa

When I ran a single reactor, I separated the two with a sponge, leaving room for each to tumble in it's own section. I put the carbon on top so it could be changed out more frequently since it was typically exhausted before the GFO that I was using in the lower section. Others run the two media mixed together. There's really no harm in doing so.

When I ran a single reactor, I separated the two with a sponge, leaving room for each to tumble in it's own section. I put the carbon on top so it could be changed out more frequently since it was typically exhausted before the GFO that I was using in the lower section. Others run the two media mixed together. There's really no harm in doing so.

Thanks

I think that it was Dan (Grey Seas Aquatics) and David (Filter Fine Aquatics) that found that tumbling the two together caused one to break down a bit and this introduced carbon into the system which can result in HLLE (hole in the head and lateral line). Can't remember if this was them or not and also whether this applied to this or not... great help, aren't I? :biggrin:

Following up on Dave's comment. If you do run the two, you have to be careful how hard you tumble the stuff. Carbon is softer than GFO pellets, for example, and it can't take as aggressive a tumble as pelletized GFO can. So, it's the softest stuff in the system that regulates how hard you can tumble things.

I'd not considered that GFO is actually harder and, if put together with carbon, could result in erosion if tumbled. That makes sense. I've heard of others doing it, though, and no major complaints. The HLLE connection is anecdotal and it seems that very little research has been done into the cause of the disease at this point.

I mix both in the same reactor. 1 part GFO to about 6-7 parts CARBON.

You can see a video of my reactor in action here:

I decided to mix the two, but mine does not tumble nearly as much as yours. I will need to get a pump that has more gph.

I use a distributor (manifold) off the return from a Reeflo Dart to run all the returns. I go from Dart to 1. Return, 2. Chiller, 3. Fuge, 4. Frag Tank, 5. Media Reactor, 6. Spare. I use valves in all the outputs so I can control the flow, therefore achieving the amount of flow that I need to keep the media moving. When the sponges in the media reactor are brand new I have to dial down the flow, and as it gets clogged I keep increasing it.

I used to have pumps for everything, but I like the simplicity of using a single external pump to run everything. It also keeps the temp of the water cooler by being external. I have the pump in a semi remote location, underneath the stairs, so the noise from the external pump is not an issue, but I wouldn't stand the noise in the same room.

You can see the setup in this picture. I didn't have the frag tank in place yet and I have modified a few things but its pretty much the same thing.

IMG_0268_TEXT_MINI.jpg

I use a distributor (manifold) off the return from a Reeflo Dart to run all the returns. I go from Dart to 1. Return, 2. Chiller, 3. Fuge, 4. Frag Tank, 5. Media Reactor, 6. Spare. I use valves in all the outputs so I can control the flow, therefore achieving the amount of flow that I need to keep the media moving. When the sponges in the media reactor are brand new I have to dial down the flow, and as it gets clogged I keep increasing it.

I used to have pumps for everything, but I like the simplicity of using a single external pump to run everything. It also keeps the temp of the water cooler by being external. I have the pump in a semi remote location, underneath the stairs, so the noise from the external pump is not an issue, but I wouldn't stand the noise in the same room.

You can see the setup in this picture. I didn't have the frag tank in place yet and I have modified a few things but its pretty much the same thing.

IMG_0268_TEXT_MINI.jpg

I will be upgrading to a new tank soon. I will keep that in mind when I plumb it.

I have never had a problem mixing the two. As Tom says generally the carbon gets exhausted quicker so you may loose some life from the carbon. Adsorption is a slow process so I prefer to have the flow rate just enough to tumble the media so as to prevent channeling, but not much faster. From my experience the issue of breaking up will come from the GFO if the water movement is to much, not the carbon. I am installing a second reactor in line, but I am doing this as a pre-filter as opposed to seperating the media. I think the carbon in particular and the GFO will have a longer life by doing this. I will see.