Fish Expert Opinions Needed

Bendalat

Hello all,

I'm thinking if putting my Powder Blue Tang and Achilies Tang together in the 300g tank.

Can it do able?

If yes, how can I do it?

These are pics of them

Powder Blue Tang

gallery_143_4_10010.jpg

Achilie Tang

gallery_143_42_106093.jpg

Thanks,

Khanh

Edited by Bendalat

Its going to sounds like a smart guy answer but carefully. Don't mature tangs. Add at the same time at the same size, add at night when the lights are off, make sure there are plenty hiding spots

Edited by davelin315
family site

JME

If you add them both to the tank at the same time, they should be fine. But like any multiple tang tank, there could be some chasing from time to time which is normal.

If you are adding one of them to an existing tank housing the other tang, then you will likely have a fight for some timebut they just may get used to each other.

Khanh - I had had my best luck by putting the new fish in a specimen container inside the tank for a couple days to house the new fish. Now for an achillies that might not be possible unless you can find something big enough. What usually happens is they will "fight" throught the plexi and finally get tired of not being able to beat each other up.

With that being said, I haven't tried it with two of the most dominant tangs of the same shape.

If it was me, I would add it like I do with the specimen container if possible. Then re-aquascape somewhat, and add at night.

OR - if it is possible to catch the powder blue, I would pull him out for a couple days, re-aquascape, then add them together on the same night.

All of these seem like a lot of work, but both of those tangs are known to be bullheaded and fight for territory. The achilles also doesn't have the best captivity rate. Not to mention the price. So I would spend a lot of time figuring out how to best do it even if it meant a lot of work.

BTW - I am JEALOUS as can be!!!! I can't wait for the new tank. I'll be adding an Achilles as the first new fish in it :)

Good luck

Chad

PS I have 150g stock tank if you want to borrow it to get them used to each other. You can put eggcrate in the middle so they can't fight each other but can see each other at least. You can also use it to house them together while you re-aquascape and get them ready to put in at the same time.

Thank you jason the filter freak, guppychao, flowerseller, and Sikryd.

I will follow your advices.

Sirkryd, thanks for your offer. I have a 100g tank, too.

I think I will either make a big eggcrate cage inside the 300g tank, and house the powder blue in it for a few days;

Or put them in the stock tank and separate them.

I love them both. It will kill me (my wife will kill me also), if one of them dies because of fighting.

Khanh,

Khanh,

I just tried that combo and the jury is still out. I already had 6 tangs and for the last 2, I wanted the Achilles and Blond Naso.

I carefully planned to get both of the Achilles and Blond Naso the same size (or the Blond Naso a little larger) because I wanted to QT and introduce them together. They both did really well in QT, ate well and were fat and healthy. After a couple of weeks in QT where ironically the Achilles was a little more aggressive, I put them both in the main tank. The Power Blue instantly started harrassing the Achilles. Wouldn't let him out of one corner. He rarely saw the light of day :sad: The only thing that saved him was that he was a good eater and was still able to get food. He definitely got thinner and got ick from the stress. Now a couple of weeks later, the Achilles most of the time has free run of the tank and isn't confined to a corner or behind the rocks, but he can't fully recover because the Power Blue, although he ignores him for the most part, just can't help himself and will chase the Achilles every now and then. The Achilles has no problem being the first one at the nori clips and eats well, but that Power Blue just can't totally ignore him. I've soaked food in garlic and added selcon to most of the food. The ick is getting better and he's getting fatter again. I'm hoping that with a little more time he will be able to live in peace. I could catch the Power Blue, but I've had him for years and just my luck, the Achilles would become the tank bully :cry: I think I'm better off keeping the known than taking a chance on the unknown. If I tried it again, I woudl make sure that the Achilles was larger than the Power Blue.

Eve

Khanh,

I just tried that combo and the jury is still out. I already had 6 tangs and for the last 2, I wanted the Achilles and Blond Naso.

I carefully planned to get both of the Achilles and Blond Naso the same size (or the Blond Naso a little larger) because I wanted to QT and introduce them together. They both did really well in QT, ate well and were fat and healthy. After a couple of weeks in QT where ironically the Achilles was a little more aggressive, I put them both in the main tank. The Power Blue instantly started harrassing the Achilles. Wouldn't let him out of one corner. He rarely saw the light of day :sad: The only thing that saved him was that he was a good eater and was still able to get food. He definitely got thinner and got ick from the stress. Now a couple of weeks later, the Achilles most of the time has free run of the tank and isn't confined to a corner or behind the rocks, but he can't fully recover because the Power Blue, although he ignores him for the most part, just can't help himself and will chase the Achilles every now and then. The Achilles has no problem being the first one at the nori clips and eats well, but that Power Blue just can't totally ignore him. I've soaked food in garlic and added selcon to most of the food. The ick is getting better and he's getting fatter again. I'm hoping that with a little more time he will be able to live in peace. I could catch the Power Blue, but I've had him for years and just my luck, the Achilles would become the tank bully :cry: I think I'm better off keeping the known than taking a chance on the unknown. If I tried it again, I woudl make sure that the Achilles was larger than the Power Blue.

Eve

Thank you Eve.

The more I look at the fish, the more I worry.

The Powder Blue is a little bigger and very bully.

I think I need lot of luck.

Khanh,

Khanh,

Powder blues and Sohals are considered to be the most aggressive tangs. I think both of those fish might give the achilles problems, especially since achilles are so touchy in captivity. Add the achilles first if possible, and have a plan to get him out quick if things don't work out. I tried introducing a medium purple into my tank with a large and small purple, thinking they would be ok-- they were fine for about 24h, then the next morning the small purple just ripped the new one to shreds within 30 min. I was able to catch the new one because he could barely swim. He recovered and is healthy now but I learned how quickly things can go bad with them.

Hi Khanh, these two already live together but the issue is that you're moving them both to a new tank without any established territory. They're both very large already, so my suggestion is to put them in at the same time and add another fish that will divert aggression. What else is going in this tank (and you have another one? another reason to come and see you!)? Aggression will occur because of the new tank no matter what, but if they are already established, it might be slightly less. One thing that might help is to leave it dark for a few days to let them adapt in peace.

(another reason to come and see you!)?

Dave - are you a fish whisperer who makes house calls? :biggrin:

Dave - are you a fish whisperer who makes house calls? :biggrin:

Heh heh, I charge several thousand per visit and can talk to your fish. I use concussion theory to get them to "lay flat" in the water. ;)

Good to see you active again, Eve!

OK, in rereading the post, these two are in different tanks - but I think the same theory applies, they will be aggressive until one establishes dominance but the solution could be to have something else in there.

Good to see you active again, Eve!

Thanks Dave! Still can't be really active. I can't keep up with everything, but I check the boards to keep current on thinking/methods, etc.