Weird White Worms at night?

magnetic1

I just noticed these guys while looking at my tank tonight. Attracted to light, white body and they look like pretty good swimmers. I did some searching and thought they might be Planeria? But those look more "slug-like" and stick to the glass. These are swimming in the water. I tried to get a short video with my phone...

What fish do you have in your tank? Those look like fry.

I just noticed these guys while looking at my tank tonight. Attracted to light, white body and they look like pretty good swimmers. I did some searching and thought they might be Planeria? But those look more "slug-like" and stick to the glass. These are swimming in the water. I tried to get a short video with my phone...

What fish do you have in your tank? Those look like fry.

The only fish I have in my tank that could be mating are Clownfish. But they arent fry... definitely a worm of some type.

Edit: Whatever they were, they are no more. Just went back to look and nothing coming to the light. They must have been eaten :)

Edited by magnetic1

Planaria don't swim that fast and neither do fish frye in my experience. I have had things similar to those before and they swam with the same type of motion that yours appear to, kind of a corkscrew. Never had any issues with them and only saw them at night. I believe I also saw a single on in my tank the other night, but it disappeared too quickly to see what it was.

I have them coming out at night as well. Seems as though they disappear during daylight and they retreat to the sandbed or any other crevice that they can hide in. They must be breeding in the water column.

Marine fairies :)

I have them coming out at night as well. Seems as though they disappear during daylight and they retreat to the sandbed or any other crevice that they can hide in. They must be breeding in the water column.

Leave them be!! There great bottom feeders and are of no harm. I even made it a point to salvage a few for the new tank I setup last year just to make sure the substrate got cleaned.

I think I have the exact same creatures in my tank. Their behavior is very similar, they appear at night on the sand or on the rock and they almost look like shrimps when you look at them closely. Mine has tiny legs all through their torso and they curl a little towards the end. I will try to catch some to put pictures up but they are really quick.

I always wondered what they were. I thought they were copepods however they don't have big enough antennas.

Nothing to be worried about I assume. My coral are doing fine... I haven't detected any harm that they do/would do, yet...