Wanted Equipment

Guest sprtplyr99

Guest sprtplyr99

Hey,

I am turning my 20 gallon freshwater tank to saltwater.  I am looking for a protein skimmer and RO unit. If anyone has either of these and lives near the northern virginia area email me at sprtplyr99@aol.com or post. Thanks!

Guest sprtplyr99
If anyone knows of any inexpensive fish stores where I can purchase these items or any new items I will need to start a reef tank let me know.

Guest va_reefman

Hi,

I have have a small protein skimmer that I used to run on my 29g tank until I upgraded to a 37g tank.  It is a good skimmer for a small tank that you are setting up.  It is an in sump model.

Let me know,

John

Look for either a CPR bak-pak skimmer or an Aqua-C remora.  Other places with lots of classifieds are reefcentral.com and reefs.org

The reef Tank (www.reefstore.com) has some of the better prices in NoVA for live rock and does a great job with husbandry, as does MarineScene over by Dulles.  

An RO Unit, I would pick up on E-bay.  

What are you going to use for lights?  Might consider a retro-fit power compact setup from www.hellolights.com

You will also want to use a powerhead or 2 for providing water movement- air lift tubes work, but make a lot of salt spray.  Completely ditch the undergravel filter, and use a fine sand (home depot has the good stuff- it should be white).  You will want to activate this with some sand from a well established sandbed.

Naturally all the above is if someone here can't help you with any of the above.  Really try to plan it out before taking the dive- it will save you lots in the long run.

Guest va_reefman

I paid $99 for it but have no use right now so you can have it for $25.

Let me know,

John

Guest sprtplyr99
va_reefman...that sounds GREAT...where do you live so I can come pick it up (arrange a date)...thanks!!!

Guest sprtplyr99
Nevermind...but does anyone have a CPR Bakpak II or Remora Pro skimmer?

A sump is a separate tank that is under the main display tank.  The idea is you pump water up out of the sump into the main display tank.  It then overflows down a drilled hole in the main display back into the sump.

Great for circulation.  Allows you to hide equipment from the display tank:  heaters, skimmers, make-up water level controllers, pH probes, ...  you get the idea.

That is why we talk so much about Reef Ready tanks.  They are pre-drilled with two holes (up from sump, overflow back to sump) and an overflow kit (baffles in the corner hiding the holes and setting the overall level of the tank.

For a 20G system, I do not think this is necessary.

MichaelG is talking about Southdown Play Sand from HD.  It is crushed coral sand, not silica based.  Sets up a very nice environment for critters and bacteria that are necessary for the nitrogen cycle.

You will also need Live Rock and will have to cycle the tank before putting in critters...

Read this thread lone clown as it covers a lot of this already.  floridaboy set up a 10G nano.  Yours will be very similar.

s

I have both a backpak and remorapro I can sell since I don't use them anymore.   these are both hang-on-the-back (HOB) skimmers.  You need to decide if you want a skimmer hanging on the back of your tank, or one in the sump.  If you want a HOB I can figure out a price for the backpak and remorapro (the backpak will be cheaper, although the remora pro has a crack but it doesn't alter its use).  let me know by email if you like, dmendel@gwu.edu

David M.

Guest sprtplyr99
I am thinking about buying this 55 gallon tank that I saw for $150...does anyone think I should go for that?

What does the 55 come with?  There are some NICE 75 gallon tanks listed for sale that were a real good price.   Same length (4 feet), but you get more space front to back which when you start putting rock in and trying to make a nice aquascape with some overhangs and caves really makes a difference.  Lighting would be about the same for either so not really an issue..

sprtyplyr- there are a bunch of club members in your area- you should go see a couple tanks before you make any descisions.  I would suggest helping VA-reefman move the 180 into his basement :)  Seriously though most prefer a sump- it really can make things a lot easier and can be as simple as a rubbermaid tub that fits inside the stand of the tank.

Guest sprtplyr99

How much are the 75 gallon ones?

Does anyone have a 50 gallon tank for sale?

75 gal tank and stand FS. tank is not drilled but is in great shape, same with commercial stand.  sorry, don't remember manufactor, will it be on the bottom?  looking for $50 on the tank and $75 for the stand, $110 for both.  you can e-mail me at dmendel@gwu.edu

David M.

PS if you go with a 75 gal tank you definately want the remorpro skimmer, not the bakpak.  the backpak only skims about ~60% of the remorapro, in my opinion.  I would only put the bakpak on a tank of 50 gals or less, again IMHO.  David

Keep away from a 55.  They are too narrow.  I have had mine up for 17 years, and I wish I got a 120 or at least a 75.  Width is a wonderful thing in a reef tank.