So is it ok to....

trockafella

so if i drive out to bristow and get some corals. and pay 30$ each for the 2 pieces that i got from you and then get a shipment in and decide to get rid of some corals that i didnt like as much as the new ones and sell them back out for 35$ each that is some big wamas crime. so basically cuz i dont keep a coral that i purchased from you to do whatever i want with it for 6 months an decide to sell them back out for whatever reason i chose that its any of your business what i do with them after purchased from you. you gave me nothing for free. and i didnt sell anything that i had received for free. i think an extra 5 bucks on top is still a good deal for any craigslister that didnt spend the 20$ to become a wamas member. all of you judging and dont even know what happened. im not on here getting free items and charging people for them nor am i charging double what i got it for that extra 5 bucks pays for the 2 hours and gas money i spent to go get the corals and i also kept the other 2 items i bought from you and plan on keeping them.... so please people mind you own business and get a life. step outside and get some fresh air

In his defense he did give me a free coral and offer other corals for free or for cheap, I just decided not to take them.

But I also don't like the idea of buying and selling corals outside WAMAS, I'd prefer to keep them in WAMAS and just explain the prise was raised a bit to cover gas, people would agree thats fair I think.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Happyfeet

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so please people mind you own business and get a life. step outside and get some fresh air

First off, it IS our business....the club belongs to all of the members and they are all affected by this. Also, don't make this personal, there is no place for that here (you called yourself, and some others out).

The issue here isn't making $5 off a coral. The issue is with members getting good deals or discounted package pricing and turning around and selling them for a tidy profit. If someone sells you a coral at 1/2 its value......let's say a 1" purple monster for frag for $25.....and you turn around and post it on craigslist for $90, then that's a problem. I don't think that anyone here would give away a coral or sell at a drastically reduced price if they know you're going to turn around and sell it for a profit. To me, that's the same as stealing because that member could have sold it for the same amount. One of the privileges of this club is members helping other members out. If one of the members decides to take advantage of that generosity for profit, then they NEED to be called out about it. It's a different story if you buy a coral, grow it out and then sell some frags from it. I don't see any problem with that.

Lastly, if someone gives you a coral to help you out, and you turn around and sell it........well that's just crap. You should at least have the common decency to offer it back to the person who gave it to you. If they tell you to go ahead and sell it.....there is no issue

Rocko im wth you, and I believe most good hobbyists are too, everyone on here loves to flip flop back n forth, your all just as gulty bc you had to know, and now you all feel gulty so you wanna pont the finger elsewhere... You can say shame on us, but we know what he did/does and if your ok with that you all sell to him and feed his business, I could care less if u become partners with him, but some of us dont and we have the right to be aware.. I started the post, not rocko, so put the blame on me, I am happly taking credit...

partners with me... feed my business. ok i did want ora corals and i got the chips and roscoes. and then i got them in my tank and just like anybody else new in the hobby the more i researched the more i started to like different things and next thing i know my whole tank is full of all these things. so i decide to keep the things i really liked and go head and clear the other stiff out so i could grow things out. i didnt post them for sale on wamas because everything i have for sale is common to wamas members. im not running a business people! after this list is cleared out i dont really have anything else im letting go. you people are making it seem like im running around punching babies and kicking puppies. i went on a coral binge because im new to the hobby and when i got overloaded in my little 30 gallon tank i decided to calm down get rid of a few things and keep the stuff i liked the most.... its rediculous that its gone from me minding my own business and and trying to clear room in my tank to me running a multi million dollar operation where everybody gets boned.

Guys, don't you think it's about time to take your neutral corners and catch a breath here?

I'm only now catching up on this matter, and from the line of posts I'm reading, it seems that, unless there's a real, established pattern of substantial reselling here, this is in all likelihood a misunderstanding. Now, I think everyone understands the sensitivities of flipping goods - I think that point was very well made. Now that the point has been made, though, is there any sense to continue hammering on it and each other?

I suggest that we move on having learned a little bit on the matter.

I'm really puzzled by all of this. The guy explained what he did. His explanation was very reasonable. He bought stuff, like we all do, changed his mind/moved in a different direction, like we all do, sold it, like many of us do, to get other stuff that he liked. From what others that have sold to him say he isn't doing it for a huge profit. We see that he isn't buying huge lots/tanks full and re selling to businesses and other clubs. He did nothing wrong. Now that i see both sides I go back to if you bought it, it's yours to do what you want with. There are bigger fish to fry with respect to buying on WAMAS and selling elswhere for a profit and not owning up to having a business on the side. In that respect the person buying knows they are getting over on everyone.

I really hope WAMAS does not put restrictions on buying and re selling to members that don't do this as a legit business. I'm sure many people will leave. What mrphatstacks did was no different than buying a car and deciding that it's time to get a newer one and reselling it. Let's be reasonable here.

here's an idea.....Maybe WAMAS can have a section for members to put their tanks up for auction to vendors and other business people with a percentage of the sale going back to WAMAS for facilitating the service. Maybe give members an option to post their entire stock for sale to vendors or piece it out to the membership. WAMAS officers get to place the starting price after evaluating the lot for vendor bids.

Edited by Jan

My only input on this is that if you had posted them here on wamas and said that you overloaded your tank and were making room... you would have probably sold all that coral very quickly and it wouldn't have sketched anyone out. Good prices.

I think people just assumed because you posted on CL and not WAMAS that it was taking away from the club. There have been sketchy guys in the past that have bought from here and sold elsewhere for profit.

Welcome to WAMAS... I think this is just a misunderstanding.

Edited by reefhunter

I think people just assumed because you posted on CL and not WAMAS that it was taking away from the club. There have been sketchy guys in the past that have bought from here and sold elsewhere for profit.

Bingo!!

I think some sensitivies have been raised, by one individual in particular who makes a business of low-balling people on WAMAS (and elsewhere, I'm sure) - and then selling the livestock and hardware on CL. Many of us have dealt with the gentleman, and been left with harsh feelings. For starters, he lies to people about the source of his hardware and livestock; when we realize we've been 'had'... well, we certainly don't want to be his best friend anymore.

If I had to figure out where every coral I have came from - and worry about people's sensitivities if I offer it for sale - anywhere - I'd have to keep voluminous records. I think his explanation was reasonable, and he certainly doesn't fall into the same category as the other person (Atchoo! - seems a little dusty in here)... So I'm not going to worry about it. By the way - I have lots of nice frags for sale, Phat one! And I don't care WHAT you do with them! :lol:

bob