Lime water

altezza

i mixed 1 tea spoon for 1 gallon of RO water ...when i drip it my ph does not increase at all...is this normal? or do i have a bad batch of lime powder. I did get it a longggg time ago...probably two years ago.

stick the pH probe in the kalk mixture.

If it doesn't read 12ish, recalibrate your probe.

Yep, saturated limewater has a pH of 12.5 at 77-78 degrees. Make sure it's saturated, though.

it should read about that pH if a few degrees above freezing and up into the high 90s as long as it's "saturated".

Just because it's not cloudy does not mean it's not saturated. Cloudy is actually over saturated as excess will fall out of solution until clear when it is "saturated".

Also, just because it's cloudy does not mean it's saturated because it could just be lots calcium carbonate particles that are susspended in solution.

fun stuff huh?

ok just checked...the PH of lime water is 11.7....so does this mean i have to increase the amount of lime per gal of RO?

You could.

What are you using?

I would suggest you experiment for your next batch. You'll gain practical knowledge by that alone.

You can only get so much kalk to dissolve in water since the rest will remain cloudy and or simply fall out to the bottom for next mixing.

Add a 1/2 tsp per gallon, mix, test pH. Keep adding 1/2 tsp until you're up to about 5 tsp pg, testing pH after mixing each time.

Next batch, add 1 tsp pg and allow to settle several hours until top is clear and test pH of clear saturated mixture.

Do that several times until your @ multiple tsp-pg.

Have fun