My tank shocked me today

Sharkey18

Well I have occasionally felt a very slight tingle from my frag tank and refugium. Slight enough that I though it could be my imagination.

Today I payed for ignoring the issue and got a real shock while I was moving a power head.

After investigating further..(by repeatedly touching different areas of the tank) i can definitely feel a strong tingle when I touch the rim of the refugium.

Suggestions before I kill myself?

Thanks!

If you have koralia's it may be the powerhead introducing electricity to your tank, you can start by unplugging them and putting your finger back into the water to see if there is still a current.

Plug it into a gfci and plug things in one at a time to see which is doing it. Whatever is doing it needs to be removed immediately, that leaked current is going to get the better of not only you, but the tank as well (obviously more importantly you!). Plug only one thing in at a time and when it pops, you have your culprit. What equipment do you have in there? If it's only a powerhead and the charge is originating there, then I think you've found your culprit. I have had current leaking in a few times and it always seems to be the powerheads that are a problem, hence the reason why I try and avoid them now altogether.

I thought you got shocked from the 'rim' of the tank?? That's plastic in most cases, and not a good conductor when dry. Do Koralia's have a tendency to leak where the electricity goes in? Because I've used them for a long time now, and never had a problem. But I do have a couple that just stopped running after a couple of years, and replacing the impeller didn't get them moving again.

bob

I got a large shock when I was in the tank, moving the location of the powerhead. After that I went around touching the tank. I felt a current when touching the wet rim of the sump tank, which yes, was plastic. Didn't feel the current in the dry spots, but did in the wet spots. I basically need to do an over all of all the equipment to find what piece, or pieces are leaking current.

Ouch!

I thought you got shocked from the 'rim' of the tank?? That's plastic in most cases, and not a good conductor when dry. Do Koralia's have a tendency to leak where the electricity goes in? Because I've used them for a long time now, and never had a problem. But I do have a couple that just stopped running after a couple of years, and replacing the impeller didn't get them moving again.

bob

Well I have occasionally felt a very slight tingle from my frag tank and refugium. Slight enough that I though it could be my imagination.

Today I payed for ignoring the issue and got a real shock while I was moving a power head.

After investigating further..(by repeatedly touching different areas of the tank) i can definitely feel a strong tingle when I touch the rim of the refugium.

Suggestions before I kill myself?

Thanks!

+1 to failng power heads.

You don't have a maxijet anywhere in the tank? I have had the same thing happen to me multiple times. Most of the occurances have been due to failing maxijet 1200 power heads.

Oh and the failure could be in your sump, I had my power head in the sump and felt it in the main display.

Edited by sheac12

Do NOT use yourself as an indicator of current in the water. Playing with electricity that is leaking into a hyper-conductive mass of water is a recipe for disaster. If you have to, use a voltage meter in the water and see when it reacts. The last time I had to test for what was leaking I simply plugged it into the GFCI outlets to see which one popped it. My leaking powerheads have all been Maxi-Jets 1200s or 900s as well.