Happyfeet 44 Gal

Hello everyone I'm Mike, and I'm pretty new around here. I've been getting great advice from everyone on the forum. I'm new to saltwater aquariums so I needed a lot of advice! I'm finally all moved into my new place and my internet has been installed! woohoo.

I figured I'd post some pictures of my tank(work in progress) so everyone can see how I'm doing.

FishTank001.jpg

FishTank002.jpg

It took a lot of effort to get the overflow box to run quietly and even more work to get my sump to run quietly.

FishTank003.jpg

Since my tank is still in the initial cycle I may drain the sump and silicone in some baffles because I'm getting some air bubbles in the main display tank.

Plan on heading out to FF sunday to pick up some sand.

Hi Mike. Looks like it's coming along.

Is it just the angle, or are you not running a standpipe of any sort in the backside of your overflow box? If not, I suspect that you're using that ball valve to set the overflow level? An alternative that might work a little more consistently might be a DIY Stockman standpipe or a Maggie Muffler. As I recall, the back of a CPR overflow is a bit tight for a Durso standpipe.

Hi Mike. Looks like it's coming along.

Is it just the angle, or are you not running a standpipe of any sort in the backside of your overflow box? If not, I suspect that you're using that ball valve to set the overflow level? An alternative that might work a little more consistently might be a DIY Stockman standpipe or a Maggie Muffler. As I recall, the back of a CPR overflow is a bit tight for a Durso standpipe.

Yup, you would be correct using the ball to regulate the flow. I was actually reading up on the stockman sandpipe, I haven't heard of the Maggie Muffler before. I'll have to look into that, The girlfriend is about to throw it out of the window because of the noise.

I have to admit, this overflow box is a freaking nightmare trying to get the flow in to match the flow out. I had it perfect for about a day, but in an attempt to make it quieter i messed everything up, now it either drains to fast or fills to fast..... VERY frustrating.

(edited)
Did you get a chance to install the standpipe?

I was too busy over the weekend to make one, I jusy shut off my return and overflow and left the powerheads running. It was either overflowing the displaytank, or draining the display tank and sucking air into the sump. I was pretty surprised the overflow box can't fill itself faster than it drains itself.

Hopefully tonight I can get to Home Depo and make a stand pipe.

Edited by Happyfeet

Didn't make it out to Home Depot today, had to stay close to home.

I was able to put some sand in it. About 2" in my 55 gal don't think its too much do you?

FishTank-2.jpg

The depth of your sand bed is fine. But depending on how much natural denitrifying work you want out of the sand, you may want to go deeper, say between 4"-6". Or just add a RDSB and leave the sand bed the way it currently is. Another thing you may want to consider is the type of fish, if any, you plan to add. For instance, jawfish and the like prefer deeper (3"+) sand beds.

Didn't make it out to Home Depot today, had to stay close to home.

I was able to put some sand in it. About 2" in my 55 gal don't think its too much do you?

FishTank-2.jpg

Mine is about 2-3" throughout the tank, and i've had it that way in all of my tanks throughout the past 9yrs with no problem at all! knock on wood:)

Thanks guys! I'd just read a few articles warning against deep sand beds, but not defining what qualified as a deep sand bed! I figured I could always get an Engineer Goby to stir everything up worst comes to worst.

Once the sand has settled down and my new lighting arrives I'll take some more pictures.

I changed the rock work up a little bit, I'm going to change it again I'm still not happy with it but I'm close.

I also had time to make a Standpipe for my overflow. I'll know how it works tomorrow, I want to make absolutely certain the cement is set before I put water on it.

FishTank006.jpg

FishTank007.jpg

FishTank008.jpg

(edited)

The Standpipe doesn't work, it sends a bazillion bubbles into my sump creating a whole new wonderfully horrible noise... Though it does quiet the CPR overflow to where I can't hear it anymore. I need to figure out the air bubble problem now.

I read that it could be an issue with back pressure and to drill another hole. I drilled another hole and now it shoots bubbles AND gurgles. I'm about ready to give up on this thing.

Edited by Happyfeet

Looking good so far. Since you're so early in the setup phase, have you considered getting an overflow from glassholes.com and drilling the tank? You'll be extremely happy you did it. This one should give you the same flow as your current setup:

http://www.glass-holes.com/product.sc?prod...mp;categoryId=3

Let us know if you need any help.

Looking good so far. Since you're so early in the setup phase, have you considered getting an overflow from glassholes.com and drilling the tank? You'll be extremely happy you did it. This one should give you the same flow as your current setup:

http://www.glass-holes.com/product.sc?prod...mp;categoryId=3

Let us know if you need any help.

I got the tank for next to free and when I got it home and bought the drill bits to drill I was looking at a DIY site, which said MAKE SURE THE GLASS IS NOT TEMPERED I remembered seeing an orange sticker on the bottom of the tank and it read "all sides tempered glass".

I would MUCH rather have a drilled tank, but with this one its not going to happen. I'm going to see how this goes and my plan is to upgrade into a 100gal tank once my current lease is up, if I decide to move.

(edited)

On a side note the initial cycle is proceeding really well.

Last week the shrimp I put in was completely decomposed and spiking the ammonia pretty high.

This week ammonia has fallen to almost 0

Nitrite rose to 1.0 held for a couple days and is currently falling back down. around .50 currently.

Nitrate is holding steady at about 20

PH is holding steady at 8.2

Phosphate is around .25

After looking at my excel sheet, it looks like the initial spikes are over and everything is falling and evening out.

I'm starting to get some algae on my scrubber and the water has cleared up from the sand.

All in all I'm pretty happy.

Edited by Happyfeet

Some updates, I've been noticing the Coraline algae on my liverocks is coming back pretty vibrantly, not as vibrant as when I first got it and let it sit out, but it is coming back.

Something a little unexpected is happening, I have base rock that used to be liverock, but was left to sit for almost a year untouched. It seems like the Coraline algae that used to cover it is coming back. (I may be off my rocker and its just spreading from the liverock to the baserock) I can see faint outlines of what looks like old deposits of Coraline Algae starting to pink up and purple up.

I also have a very small hitch hiker of some sort. It's a clear and has tentacles with blueish tips that will stretch out and shrink up depending on the time of the day. I noticed it was out, and I turned on the lights to get a picture but it retracted all the way up into a crack in the rock. I'm going to try and get a shot of and post it up here tonight.

(edited)

MY Ammonia and Nitrates reached 0 so I decided to do a water change and added my first inhabitants. I decided to go with Chromis because I've read they are fairly hardy fish and I know being new I'll probably make mistakes. I want a fish that will be a little more forgiving =)

I wanted to wait an extra week before I added anything, but we are having a house warming party this weekend and we both decided we needed something moving in our tank for it.

I got 4 Blue Green Chromis

FishTank017.jpg

So far they have been doing well, I spent the extra time and acclimated them for four hours, just to make sure they didn't get shocked. lights have been off for the entire time of acclimation and 3 hours afterwards.

They stuck mostly to the rocks and hid the entire time the lights were out, I turned on the lights and they came right out and were swimming around and having a great time. There is one however that is pretty shy and has stayed in the rockwork. He comes out every so often, but heads back to the safety of the rocks quickly.

I fed them some mysis shrimp and they readily accepted and gobbled up every piece offered. It seems like they are doing pretty good.

*edit I thought I would mention they have been schooling really nicely, though once they settle in and feel more comfortable that behavior might stop.

Edited by Happyfeet

Some new additions:

So far no deaths and everyone seems really happy!

I added 3 more Hermit Crabs, Blue Legged.

5 Cearith Snails

2 Emerald Crabs

1 Pistol Shrimp

1 Yellow Goby

So far the Pistol Shrimp and the Goby haven't paired up, though they decided to live 4 inches from each other. Hopefully they will warm up to each other.

I also finalized where I wanted my rocks to be.

FishTank019.jpg

FishTank020.jpg