90g Build Thread and INTRO

Der ABT

Well I am rather new here and have already been able to meet a few of you thru swaps and purchasing equipment, Funny how many of you I got in contact with thru craigslist.

well here is my Intro, I just moved back to the area from Blacksburg VA where I had been living for the past 10 years or so after graduating from VT a while ago. Got a new job up here and am currently in Arlington with my wife.

here is the current holding tank 75g

DSCF5763.jpg

DSCF5765.jpg

Just got the stand finished besides doors and some finishing trim and the basic frame for the canopy without the lid (trying to have it so the lights and all lift up with the canopy)

Stand is 36 tall, standard 90g tank. Lighting will be 2x250w SE MH with spider reflectors till I either get more money or find a deal on some other. 2 or 4 x 54w T5 as long as my workhorse5

ok well here is the basic plan i was going for with the hood, not sure where the fans will go just yet but its going to be an open back, hinged on back so whole top goes up with lights and all to access tank from top (i tend to tinker alot)

hood.doc

hopefully you guys can see this.

i will have 2x250 with spider reflectors just picked up from Tekken and the ballast from Coral Hind along with some t5 (2 or 4) 54w from some older workhorse 5 ballasts i have. all will be painted white inside.

Not sure on bulbs yet, most likely will go 20k xms but we shall see.

I may ask for some plumbing help along the way as i would love to rig an external pump (i have some old mags that were previously sealed by the owner and

Edited by Der ABT

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Alright finally an update, well part of one

Got the stand built and the canopy both to about 90% aka no doors on the stand and need to wire up the canopy and put some fans in.

but here are som updated pics, any suggestions welcome

Probably going to go 20k bulbs either radium or reeflux most likely

2 t5s with individual reflectors to start and maybe 4 later.

Thinking of doing internal calflo's but havent decided as time is getting crunched. rightnow tank came with 2 3/4 in holes so im thinking i may have to drill them out to 1 inch or not just too many options. and i would like to do it once and be happy. Plumbin is next after all this is decided on.

DSCF5837.jpg

DSCF5841.jpg

DSCF5844.jpg

DSCF5843.jpg

and from the 75 temp tank

Clam1.jpg

one of my new favorites

sorry for the actinic

IMG_6160.jpg

Edited by Der ABT

Have a few updates, havent had alot of time to complete everything but hopefully will get sand and water in the tank very soon.

Im debating on putting the tank on wheels, has anyone ever done this? have bad or good stories, I usually wouldnt even think of it but right now i have to put the tank in the laundry room so some renovation can take place and it would be a pain to move it out later with out them, guessing ill just not do wheels and drain and move the tank later on but just wanted to see opinions/horror/good stories.

to the update

well i have the plumbing done for the most part, just need to actually tie together the return (i found an SCWD so i need to adjust it a little)

Got the overflows plumbed ( 1.5 above the durso, 1 inch into the sump, his is coming out of 2x

It is looking nice. Some suggestions for you based on the pics above.

- I would cut the PVC drain lines going into the sump, about 10" up from the ball valve. Flip it around and then glue the ball valve onto the drain line. This would move the ball valve up so you don't have to stick your hand in the water to adjust them.

- You might want to run the coralife skimmer as an "in sump" if you can as they overflow easy.

- I would place the skimmer output at the opposite end of the sump so you don't get micro bubbles in the display.

What size Mag pump are you using?

Ball valves, yeh i plan to switch them, i realized i forgot after i got out of the room i was glueing in (maybe the fumes, im just going to cut the pipe up high and switch as you said.

as for the skimmer, that is just a temporary one until i get my ASM G3 off the 75 gal all of my coral is in right now, and it will be used internally just havent gotten the sump baffled yet. but i will definately turn it aroud to help with bubbles (that was my first skimmer and man it did overflow alot.

Mag 9 will the be the return for now (works great on the 75) the one in the pic is a rio 3100 that is going to get the tank cycling hopefully by next week.

i have two mag 9.5s that came with an old tank thatt are looped together that i may end up using on the sump that will be the final sump (30g). they are set up to be run externally (as in glued the crap outta them and no i didnt do it but they work and save me some money for now) So i plan on drilling the 30gallon i have and setting them up externally with dual unions to make it easier to switch to a better external pump later down the road. and they will power the return and probably be hooked into my UV/media/etc

if you cant tell i have alot of ideas in the head just a matter of getting it all completed, i really need to get the tank up and running so i can transfer my corals in and give the tank they are in to a friend for his wedding gift (wedding was in july ahah, but he was ok with waiting) so it will be set up with some room for final adjustments.

Also have an internal calflo coming thanks to Naga in a couple of weeks, cant wait to get that working.

Thanks for the input though i like to hear others thoughts of what has worked for them and what hasnt, makes me adjust mine and as we all know a better outcome overall.

It is looking nice. Some suggestions for you based on the pics above.

- I would cut the PVC drain lines going into the sump, about 10" up from the ball valve. Flip it around and then glue the ball valve onto the drain line. This would move the ball valve up so you don't have to stick your hand in the water to adjust them.

- You might want to run the coralife skimmer as an "in sump" if you can as they overflow easy.

- I would place the skimmer output at the opposite end of the sump so you don't get micro bubbles in the display.

What size Mag pump are you using?

You stayed in Blacksburg for 10 years after school? For what reason? I have a friend who has been there for 10 years but that is because it took him that long to graduate!!!

I need to go get some glass to partition the sump and will hopefully get to that tonight or tomorrow. Just doing a real simple sump in the current 20l and the permanent 30g will get the full treatment.

I have some glass that I had cut but it ended up being too small. Let me know the size and maybe I can save you a few bucks.

Ron

Edited by onux20

• 2 weeks later...

TANK HAS WATER

well finally got water and rock in the tank, had been cooking the rock for a long time and hopefully the water params stay as good as they were yesterday. Ran into a slight problem/gripe where the overflows that were drilled into the tank previously just dont flow enough water for what i had hoped but they will do.

Just need to get the current temp sump out and the perminant one in once i break down and transfer what im keeping from the 75. Hopefully the 75 makes its way to its new home this week, im going to have 2 weekends filled with nothing but fish chores.

Going to start off with Bare Bottom and see how i like it, Got my tunze 6080 and its churning the water pretty good and i will probalby add one or two smaller pumps to have some random flow. Probably will have a Remote DSB with a bunch of chaeto.

here are some crappy pics, ill have some more up tonight or tomorrow.

DSCF5853.jpg

DSCF5854.jpg

And of course ill have one of the pseudo mermaid shots, it just didnt upload for some reason.

Plans right now are for the following fish:

green spotted mandarin

Lyrtail Anthias (1male probalby 3 females)

Powder Blue and Powder Brown tangs (will be added at the same time so hopefully they wont fight as the wife really likes the fish.

Scooter Blenny

Cleaner Wrasse

any thoughts, insults, outrage, or words of encouragement are welcome. hoping to have a happy reef here soon.

It's coming along nicely. I met you at fnf yesterday I think. You asked me about the frag I dropped off. -Dave

Can anyone give some opinions on the fish additions

second guessing the 2 tangs (powder blue and brown) and may just get one but i would love both.

and any other input of fish would be appreciated. and or suggestions as well.

was good to meet you audible, already sent a pm.

Got the 75g moved up to pittsburgh and set it back up with only one loss in fish (he was the biggest jerk so its not too big of a deal)

and the 90 is oficially running and doing well.

here are a few pics, ill put some more up later tonight most likely.

sorry only got some actinic shots

IMG_6198.jpg

IMG_6212.jpg

IMG_6223.jpg

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg

IMG_6203.jpg

IMG_6222.jpg

IMG_6221.jpg

in process of getting a frag rack up and still need to finish up the old sump so i can set up the current one as a frag tank.

enjoy i hope

Couple of new additions, next will be a few more fish to feed the corals oh yeh and actualy placing the coral off the bottom (need to drill a rock first though).

Setosa

IMG_6244.jpg

Royal Plum with an unnamed that will turn into a beaut when it colors up (behind it)

IMG_6245.jpg

this one i got the other week (pearlberry and an unknown)

IMG_6229.jpg

pic doesnt show how much that orangs pops

IMG_6231.jpg

slowly coming out more

father decided to name him Poon

IMG_6234.jpg

got polyp extension?

IMG_6238.jpg

• 2 months later...

Havent updated in a while so might as well. added a few things here and there but here is the main looking better and better,

Need to change my t5s and have new bulbs on the way (having a little color loss but mainly purple only) as im battling a little black cyano but the coraline is starting to take and things are growing well (but a little slowly)

Also picked up an ACIII that im slowly getting set up, still havent figured out email alerts but updated all the firmware and its running great so far.

plan to add a few more fish in the near future. 2 female lyretail anthias, maybe a royal gramma or a wrasse of some sort, really love some of the flasher wrasses but we shall see.

Still need to enclose the overflows, ive just been lazy.

Im on week 6 of bioptim trial, hopefully that will show some improvements.

Baby will be here in march so im trying to get the tank so that i can do it all if away and not have to bother the wife or anyone else.

IMG_6509.jpg

IMG_6510.jpg

IMG_6511.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6513.jpg

IMG_6516.jpg

IMG_6518.jpg

IMG_6515.jpg

Coming along nicely. Painting the back anytime soon?

Actually not sure if i will end up painting it, ive never been a fan of the back being painted. I was thinking of puttimg some felt or cloth up for a little while to see if i like it or not, yes id love to hide the plumbing but we shall see.

also need to enclose the overflows, i have everything ready to do it just need to get enough water to silicone the boxes, which might be this week. i was going to do the whole L shelf along the back but i have a feeling it is not going to fit with the center brace of the tank, if it doesnt ill just cut it up and make 2 boxes.

just found that my sump is very slowly leaking, im guessing a silicone bead went bad as its an older tank, im fairly angry about it but i think im goign to use a sterilite bin for a temp and just try to resilicone it, otherwise ill probably be in touch with Naga really soon. there always something isnt there.

also got a frag tank plumbed in now, ill post some pics up when i get my camera back from my sister, i guess i mean if it comes back not broken. then i can learn to play with the white balance and get some actual colors in the pics.

• 5 months later...