Green Star Polyps Questions

John

I placed some GSP on my Zoathind rock and its growing very fast...will the GSP Mat overtake my Zoos?...I've seen pieces of rock covered in Zoos with GSP for sale and figured it would be fine, but now I'm questioning that decision. I've heard of GSP growing on hard coral, but I'm not sure if it'll suffocate zooathinds...

Also, will the Live Rock still provide denitrification if the nitrogen bubbles can't escape through the GSP mat?

Thanks for your input!

I don't have any personal experience with the 2 together but remember another member who posted a pic awhile ago where they were in constant battle. Zoas open in some areas and gsp in the others. I think in he long run GSP dominates sadly. post a pic it would give a better idea. And as for the mat covering the rock negating its chemical abilities :why: I would think the bottom of the rock is still open and able to diffuse the chemicals out.

The battle is on! GSP is very aggressive and hardy but zoos and palys are toxic.

As far as nitrogen gas escaping your liverock, I doubt your nitrogen cycle is that complete in your tank. If it was, you'd see nitrogen bubbles escaping from the sand bed all the time.

I placed some GSP on my Zoathind rock and its growing very fast...will the GSP Mat overtake my Zoos?...I've seen pieces of rock covered in Zoos with GSP for sale and figured it would be fine, but now I'm questioning that decision. I've heard of GSP growing on hard coral, but I'm not sure if it'll suffocate zooathinds...

Also, will the Live Rock still provide denitrification if the nitrogen bubbles can't escape through the GSP mat?

Thanks for your input!

Some types of GSP prefer to remain pretty flat on the rock. The zoa's might be able to do battle with it. However - some of my GSP is perfectly willing to head out into space and 'shroud' other corals. I pick one of them off of my sinularia all the time. I would try to separate the contenders, and only keep GSP on a separate 'island' of its own.

bob

My money is on the GSP. I've had it take over, and even though some zoas survived, they were very miserable and not exactly nice to look at.

Laura

I had a GSP covered rock. I thought it would stay in place on the rock if I placed the rock in the sand, but it just started to spread over the sand and build colonies into the sand. As for touching the Zoa's it was close but they never battled for territory.